Sign in with
Your question

Question about power cables connected to motherboard.

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2011 6:27:50 PM

I decided to disconnect about 5 cables from my motherboard to try to save some power. Do I need to disconnect both ends to stop power from being drawn or is it fine with just disconnecting one end.

The cables are still connected to the motherboard but I disconnected the cable from the USB ports/memory card readers and a DVD burner.
a c 271 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2011 6:47:33 PM

I would have disconnected from the motherboard instead. You will lose very tiny amounts of power but for most intents and purposes there is no power in the cables anymore.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
a c 216 V Motherboard
February 10, 2011 7:05:51 PM

snx said:
I decided to disconnect about 5 cables from my motherboard to try to save some power. Do I need to disconnect both ends to stop power from being drawn or is it fine with just disconnecting one end.

The cables are still connected to the motherboard but I disconnected the cable from the USB ports/memory card readers and a DVD burner.

If there weren't any USB devices attached to the USB ports you disconnected and there were no memory cards in the memory card reader then disconnecting them will save you nothing.

Did you disconnect only the data cable to the DVD burner? That won't save you any power either. You need to disconnect its power cable. The data cable can be left attached.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2011 7:07:15 PM

USB ports in themselves dont draw any power. To save power there you might want to disable them in the bios.

The other items, well I dont know if you saved enough power in a year to pay you back a quarter.
m
l
February 10, 2011 10:48:16 PM

Trying to save some power because I feel that some times my system is unstable.

Like every now and then the taskbar will flicker, or when I right click the drop box will flicker, minor stuff like that. Kinda annoying though.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 12:05:54 AM

If you had power issues your system would just shut down or just constantly restart. It sounds to me like you may have other issues with your computer possibly male-ware or viruses.
m
l
!