Sign in with
Your question

Can you damage RAM by mixing in same channel?

Last response: in Memory
October 14, 2011 6:25:36 PM

Can you damage RAM by mixing in same channel? I had HP on the phone do a beep test and had me remove all 4 modules 2-2GB and 2-1GB he said it did not matter how they went back in. Now I have beeps any time i try to reboot.
If i put a 1GB in one of the blue channels and a 2GB in one of the black channels no more beeps but back to not getting past the windows loading screen. If I put the other modules back in it starts the long short beeps.
October 14, 2011 6:43:41 PM

Thats not entirely true. However it should work as long as you put the same modules in the same corresponding color RAM slot. So, if you put the 2gb module in the black slot then you have to put in the other 2gb in the other black slot and the two 1gb's in blue slots. Make sure they are correctly placed in and if it still doesn't work then you'll probably have to get a RMA.
m
l
October 14, 2011 6:50:44 PM

Could I have shut down the DIMM Ch.(slot) by mix and matching?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 14, 2011 8:16:15 PM

You may need to clear the CMOS and install the RAM again. It's best to keep the same RAM in the same channel.
m
l
October 14, 2011 8:37:52 PM

beenthere said:
You may need to clear the CMOS and install the RAM again. It's best to keep the same RAM in the same channel.

Could you tell me how to clear the CMOS, I have set the default and also removed the backup battery with no change.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 14, 2011 8:47:44 PM

There is usually a jumper on the mobo that you connect to clear CMOS but removing the battery should also work. If the RAM you have is all the same voltage mixing it should not damage it. It is possible to damage RAM by static electricity when handling it but it's rare.

Have you tried booting with just one DIMM installed? It sounds like you may have corrupted the O/S instead of damaging the RAM but there are many possibilities.
m
l
!