Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing SLI Z68 to OC 2500K

Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2011 6:37:53 PM

I am looking for a Z68 motherboard that is easy to overclock with for a newbie, and is compatible with the other system components I am considering. I am building a new system from scratch.
The components are as follows:
Intel Core i5 2500K
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB (4x4GB)
I was originally planning to buy a GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 (touted as bargain of the year by some) however I'm getting unsure because this is a Crossfire board and I prefer nvidia (for no special reason).

My options are:
Get an ATI GPU
Get another mobo
Don't buy more than one GPU at a time

Which do you recommend and why? If you recommend to get another mobo, please be specific.

More about : choosing sli z68 2500k

October 14, 2011 9:35:03 PM

That is a nice article, but I'm more interested in informed recommendations than picking an automatic overclocking algorithm to go with and choosing the rest myself.
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 14, 2011 9:44:54 PM

What target OC? If 4.50GHz or higher you really need a 12 or higher Phase MOBO otherwise the vCore will be too high to run stable at 'manageable' temps.

All SLI/CF MOBO's:
P67 ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) or (REV 3.0)
Z68 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Z68 Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5
P67 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 ; 3-WAY
Z68 Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 ; 3-WAY

a c 180 V Motherboard
October 14, 2011 10:10:46 PM

If you skipped to the end of the article you would see that the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe was thier choice for the best manual overclocking board. I had asumed that when you said you were an overclocking newbie that you wanted something easy and automatic to start with. Just because these boards have automatic overclock setting dosn't mean that they can't be manualy overclocked , and that is why they chose the Asus one for the best manual overclock board.
October 14, 2011 11:21:38 PM

inzone said:
If you skipped to the end of the article you would see that the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe was their choice for the best manual overclocking board. I had assumed that when you said you were an overclocking newbie that you wanted something easy and automatic to start with. Just because these boards have automatic overclock setting doesn't mean that they can't be manually overclocked , and that is why they chose the Asus one for the best manual overclock board.

And you were right about that, I was just being inattentive. I will probably try to OC manually, however since I'm new to it I may likely fall back on an automatic OC system. I tend to ignore Asus lately because they poorly designed my laptop so that it overheats, and I'm angry about that so I want to boycott them for some time. Thanks!

jaquith said:
What target OC? If 4.50GHz or higher you really need a 12 or higher Phase MOBO otherwise the vCore will be too high to run stable at 'manageable' temps.

All SLI/CF MOBO's:
P67 ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) or (REV 3.0)
Z68 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Z68 Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5
P67 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 ; 3-WAY
Z68 Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 ; 3-WAY

I am aiming for 4.6 to 4.8, but since I'm a complete noob I will need to research much more before I make the final decision. Still, having a board that makes it easy even when I want to try more complicated procedures, is a priority.
!