Sign in with
Your question

Quiet Build for Mid Level Gaming

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2010 6:58:36 PM

How's this for running medium games on high settings?
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 (3.40GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
768MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU

I'm not too sure about resolutions, I know I won't be running on particularly high resolutions- mainly 1440x900.

Thanks.
November 16, 2010 7:38:33 PM

(As the title suggests, I'm also wondering how loud/quiet the machine would run)
November 16, 2010 7:46:49 PM

Meh1995 said:
(As the title suggests, I'm also wondering how loud/quiet the machine would run)

It would be easier if you used the provided form as there are many questions you need to answer before you get an
appropriate answer like your monitor's resolution,if you want to sli/cf in the future etc.
Please do so so that we can all answer appropriately:) 
Related resources
November 16, 2010 9:05:57 PM

I know the 470's run hot, but they just had a price drop and mine handles anything I throw at it. Go with EVGA, solid warranty.

Might want to opt for the Samsung Spinpoint 1tb also. Think most people here will suggest that as well.
November 16, 2010 11:41:36 PM

For good info on quiet computing, go to www.silentpcreview.com .

Look for a quiet case that will hold your GTX460. Spmething like the Antec P183.

I would add an aftermarket cpu cooler with a large slow turning fan.
November 17, 2010 12:43:35 PM

Also get a hyper 212 plus with 2 noctua nf-p12s or get a nh-u12p.
November 17, 2010 3:13:02 PM

Thanks everyone. This thread isn't so much about recommendations for improvements, I was mainly wondering if this was good for medium level, fairly quiet gaming. The case is an InWIN DRAGON SLAYER BLACK GAMING CASE and it also has a SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER.

I can't really change the specs now but I was just wondering how this particular build would be.
November 17, 2010 3:24:09 PM

Meh1995 said:
Thanks everyone. This thread isn't so much about recommendations for improvements, I was mainly wondering if this was good for medium level, fairly quiet gaming. The case is an InWIN DRAGON SLAYER BLACK GAMING CASE and it also has a SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER.

I can't really change the specs now but I was just wondering how this particular build would be.

The time to ask questions is BEFORE you buy, not after.
November 17, 2010 3:28:06 PM

A case with 80 and 92mm fans for cooling will be neither cool nor quiet.
November 17, 2010 3:52:53 PM

hi meh im 15 too
November 17, 2010 4:28:48 PM

Quote:
hi meh im 15 too

Good for you. :pfff: 
November 17, 2010 4:36:56 PM

geofelt said:
A case with 80 and 92mm fans for cooling will be neither cool nor quiet.

Thanks for the reply, however I cannot really change the specs much since this is pushing my budget. Would this system still handle most games on high settings, even if it is a bit noisy? I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means- I just play a few less demanding games but I want to max them out and avoid much noise where I can. :) 
November 17, 2010 4:41:04 PM

Meh1995 said:
Thanks for the reply, however I cannot really change the specs much since this is pushing my budget. Would this system still handle most games on high settings, even if it is a bit noisy? I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means- I just play a few less demanding games but I want to max them out and avoid much noise where I can. :) 

It will.Not at ultra high settings at 2560x1600 and with 8xaa but it will.For the fans,if you want it to be really quiet just get some noctua nf-p9s which are the nf-p12s 92mm counterparts and mount those instead of the stock.Could you mention which games you play in particular?
November 17, 2010 4:54:43 PM

BeCoolBro said:
It will.Not at ultra high settings at 2560x1600 and with 8xaa but it will.For the fans,if you want it to be really quiet just get some noctua nf-p9s which are the nf-p12s 92mm counterparts and mount those instead of the stock.Could you mention which games you play in particular?

That'd be fine, I don't plan on playing on resolutions like that.

I mainly play The Sims 3 (laugh if you want :p  ) but I'd like to be able to play other games on reasonable settings should I choose to play something different from time to time.
November 17, 2010 4:55:52 PM

Meh1995 said:

You should be fine at 1440x900.

There are some things that you can do to reduce the noise level if you find that it's distracting, including buying new fans, as others have mentioned. You could also look at making sure the fans are connected to the motherboard and not directly to the PSU, so that they can be controlled by software, and made to run slower if the cooling isn't needed.
November 17, 2010 5:04:49 PM

coldsleep said:
You should be fine at 1440x900.

There are some things that you can do to reduce the noise level if you find that it's distracting, including buying new fans, as others have mentioned. You could also look at making sure the fans are connected to the motherboard and not directly to the PSU, so that they can be controlled by software, and made to run slower if the cooling isn't needed.

Thanks for the info. :) 

On a scale of quiet to loud, what would you say the noise would be from this system? Also, are the things I mentioned enough to prevent overheating?
November 17, 2010 5:13:21 PM

I honestly can't say...it's probably not going to be near-silent quiet, but getting a good PSU was an excellent step in making the machine quieter. Lots of older systems produced tons of noise with inefficient PSUs.

Your system shouldn't overheat. Basically no modern computer that is properly set up and isn't being run at 100% 24/7 should overheat. The 460s don't have the same heat concerns that the 470s and 480s did, but even that was overblown, in my opinion...they tended to be a matter of a few degrees hotter than the competing AMD cards.

What motherboard is going to be used? If you're putting this together yourself, make sure that you're getting an mATX board...that case is mATX only.
November 17, 2010 5:54:16 PM

coldsleep said:
I honestly can't say...it's probably not going to be near-silent quiet, but getting a good PSU was an excellent step in making the machine quieter. Lots of older systems produced tons of noise with inefficient PSUs.

Your system shouldn't overheat. Basically no modern computer that is properly set up and isn't being run at 100% 24/7 should overheat. The 460s don't have the same heat concerns that the 470s and 480s did, but even that was overblown, in my opinion...they tended to be a matter of a few degrees hotter than the competing AMD cards.

What motherboard is going to be used? If you're putting this together yourself, make sure that you're getting an mATX board...that case is mATX only.

The motherboard is an ASUS® M4A78LT-M: mATX MAINBOARD, DDR3, USB 2.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s, so that should be fine.

Thanks for the info about noise/overheating, I think the best way to see how loud it is will be to actually use it for myself. I should be ordering tomorrow so this last minute feedback really helps. :) 
!