Gaming/Video Editing-Capture Build

mtnation

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hello all I just bought Civilization 5 and I am having major issues with my ATI video card (RADEON X1650 Series) with memory leaks. I have read that my video card although DX9 compatible cannot render or handle some of the newer software, thus my issues. So, I figure it is probably time for a new machine and send this one to be beaten on by small children.

I built my current PC over 7 years ago as follows:

Cpu: PENTIUM 4, 2.6 GHz 800
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, 800Mhz FSB
Box/Power Supply: ANTEC Performance PLUS, Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply, ATX, 12V 80mm fans
Video Card: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB
Ram: GEIL 512MB(2x256MB) PC-3200 (400MHz) Dual DDR RAM, Model# GL5123200DC
Hard drive: Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB

Through the years I upgraded the video card to a RADEON X1650, bumped the RAM to 1 GIG and replaced the HD's to two Seagate 600 GB's with a RAID 0 configuration.

So, I am thinking I need a new:
1) Motherboard
2) CPU
3) RAM
4) Video Card
5) Audio Card unless onboard audio is good
6) New hard drives, your thoughts please, I want to have a dedicated back up is possible or some sort of recovery ability which I do not have now with RAID 0

The ANTEC case I have is a huge server tower that I think can fit most style MB's (information above), do I need a new box or I can I use this one? How about the power supply? Do I need more juice?

I could care less Intel to AMD, I prefer ATI video cards, but a compelling case for another manufacturer can easily sway me.

I have started doing some video editing of movies I take of the kids and make my own longer movies and DVD projects. I also want to get into video capture on my PC. I also do audio and sing editing creating with my current machine, but nothing crazy. Sometimes my current unit starts to struggle the larger the files get, so I need to quit my respective editing programs and reopen them because they will stop responding.

Lastly I figure I should get Windows 7, but I am not sure what version I should get, thoughts on that would be good too.

With all that said I think getting seven years out of my old machine was pretty good and would like to do that again. I used to play MMORPG’s, but do not do that much anymore, but still want some HP.

Your help please…..

$670AR
Untitled-210.jpg

Instead of RAID with mechanical HDDs i would hit a 60GB Sandforce based SSD instead just for OS/apps hehe

mtnation

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Nice thanks!

OK, so my current drives are SATA drives so I might just reuse them. Here is my question to you, what does your quote below mean?

I am a bit out of the loop as to what the current technologies are and do not know the lingo. Also, for video capture do I need a separate card?

Sorry for being a simpleton, can you explain a little bit for me.

Thanks again for the help!

mtnation

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Great article thanks.

Ok makes perfect sense to me now. Here is the question now then.

So my new plan is one SSD for my OS and progies and then take my current 2 current SATA drives and use them to store my files, movies ETC and have one as main storage the other as a backup to it. Does that sound logical and like a good idea?

With that said however is 60GB enough for my OS and progies? I am thinking it is not enough, right now I appear to be at around 35 gigs for that and that is with XP, not Windows 7.

I am not trying to do this totally on the cheap, so would it make sense to go with a larger SSD?

Sorry to keep bugging you, the help is really appreciated. I just want to make sure I do this right.

Yes and be selective on what goes in that SSD - the gains are nice but the current $$/GB means one cannot rely on it as a main storage solution (if $$ is object) Well it really depends on your app/software size, etc but ya anywhere from 80-120GB if it's not a bridge too far for a SSD would be your call ^^

mtnation

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Here I go again...

OKAY, so I like your CPU recommendation and the SSD recommendation, so I know I am going this route for sure:

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT75TFBGRBOX

G.SKILL Phoenix Series FM-25S2S-120GBP1 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I am partial to ASUS Motherboards as I have never had any issues with them, so I was thinking:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard (I can save $20 with a combo here)

or

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

With that said because these ASUS boards have onboard video do I need a video card? Also it states since it is ATI onboard I can somehow tie that into a ATI video card for faster graphics? Do you know anything about this?

Also, how do I know how much power I am going to need? As mentioned above my current tower (which can still be found on new egg) has a 450 W power supply and is form factor ATX, so I would rather just reuse it if possible.

Can you please assist in building a system based off the items I mentioned?

Once again, thanks for your help in advance.

I would go with an entry level 800 series if paired with Thuban as most if not all 700 series would require a mandatory BIOS update ^^

Well since Civ V definitely and Adobe Premiere Pro (if video edit app of choice) definitely requires more than integrated video best hit one. However if u want t workable rig and await pricing/availability on the discrete GPU front thats a good idea too ^^

mtnation

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I thought with onboard ATI video I would need to stay with an ATI card? The video card is what is driving my price up right now too, I like the idea of a high end MOBO and CPU, because the other components I can swap out at any time easily.

Is 4 GB of RAM good or do I need to go to 8?

Is the ram you mentioned good enough or get something higher end?