Will gigabyte LAN improve DLs?

chico1st

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I have typical high-speed internet connection and my NIC died. I was wondering if I would notice the different between downloads with a 100MBs and 1000MBs LAN card.
I typically download at 500KBs.

Can i literally not Download faster than 100Mbs without a faster card?

Solution
I highly doubt you are saturating 100Mbps lan, we have a 400Mbps fiber line here at school as our main, i get obscenely fast download speeds but 100Mbps would be 12.5MB/s which is crazy fast and most peoples ISPs dont support speeds anywhere near that high, fastest time warner offering near me is 65Mbps which wouldnt be anywhere near fast enough to saturate regular 100Mbps network.

Important note, when you see Mbps its megabits per second, not megabytes that is usually listed with a capital B, if its a lower case b divide by 8 to get megabytes.
I highly doubt you are saturating 100Mbps lan, we have a 400Mbps fiber line here at school as our main, i get obscenely fast download speeds but 100Mbps would be 12.5MB/s which is crazy fast and most peoples ISPs dont support speeds anywhere near that high, fastest time warner offering near me is 65Mbps which wouldnt be anywhere near fast enough to saturate regular 100Mbps network.

Important note, when you see Mbps its megabits per second, not megabytes that is usually listed with a capital B, if its a lower case b divide by 8 to get megabytes.

Solution