Sign in with
Your question

Internet connection bonding

Last response: in Networking
May 23, 2010 8:39:08 PM

I have a 10mbps cable internet connection and a 24mbps adsl connection coming into the building (both with ethernet out on the modems).

Question is, could I easily combine these to give one 34mbps (theoretical) output? I was thinking of putting them both into a server 2008 box with 3 NIC's, so 2 would be used by the internet connections and the the other would feed the local network throughout the building.

Could this be done easily? Wouldn't even need to be a server strictly speaking, I just can't think of what else would do it.

Thanks in advance, and much appreciated if you answer :) 

Brendan
May 24, 2010 2:52:28 AM

If you want to do that you should look at some of the dual WAN routers / firewalls... try to find one that will load balance. I don't think Windows will handle it for you.
May 24, 2010 6:10:30 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply :) 

I've been looking at the Draytek 2930, do you think this would do the trick in what I'm trying to achieve?
Related resources
May 25, 2010 2:11:36 AM

I'm really not familiar with the Draytek products, but based on the feature list it seems like it would do what you're looking for.
May 25, 2010 6:25:29 AM

I think it's not good. Thanks in advance, and much appreciated.
May 26, 2010 12:48:22 AM

allenmass said:
I think it's not good. Thanks in advance, and much appreciated.

Care to elaborate? :) 
May 26, 2010 1:00:59 PM

BrenRich101 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply :) 

I've been looking at the Draytek 2930, do you think this would do the trick in what I'm trying to achieve?

by themselves, multi-wan routers like the draytek or the peplink balance will not provide you with a single bonded connection that aggregates the capacity of your two connections... you'll have the total bandwidth available to you for multiple sessions/downloads, not it won't be like getting a single 34mb connection.

if you are trying to send files between two locations (main office and home office for instance) and you need aggregated bandwidth, you could use a peplink balance on 'both ends' and their site-to-site vpn bonding feature will give you close to the total aggregated bandwidth.
December 12, 2011 5:21:40 PM

I know this thread is a little bit old, but I was wondering if you found the solution you were looking for, brenrich. I know that I've seen a few layer 4 bonding solutions out there that would work great for the problem you described. They would aggregate all the bandwidth without any prior knowledge from your ISP. If you just search for "broadband bonding" I'm sure you can find something similar to what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps!
January 5, 2012 12:44:10 PM

Hello,
With regards to the original post on bonding your cable internet connection to your ADSL connection; This is possible but not really recommended because you would be bonding the connection over the internet rather than over a private network.
At Evolving Networks, we are able to bond 2-5 lines together and these can be ADSL, ADSL2+, EFM, FTTC or Ethernet. All of our lines are fully managed, run over our contention free private network, and we guarantee that all our customers have no usage caps or throttling.
I am aware that time has passed since the OP and you may be aware of bonded connectivity, but if anyone who reads this is unsure, then visit our site http://www.evolving-networks.co.uk/ for more details.

thanks,
Jamie
December 24, 2012 4:59:34 PM

Thank you ztz! We purchased a broadband bonding device after I saw your post here. We are extremely pleased with the total speed we are getting from our unit, as broadband bonding indeed can combine the speed of your ISP links into one.
!