Installing a new HDD with MBR or GPT?

vegeta1892

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I just got a WD Caviar Green 3 TB. I read on another forum that GPT should be used for using above 2.2 TB. I want to use this HDD for storage purposes, not for installing windows.
I also read that for GPT, UEFI is required instead of BIOS.
I have HP Pavilion 1152tx, and I don't think I have UEFI. The snapshot of configuration can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/hKdxj4P.png .

Should I use GPT w/o having UEFI? I will not be booting windows from this drive, this will only be used for storage purposes.

cathymoore

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I also think you should use GPT. GPT is the abbreviation of GUID Partition Table, which was introduced as part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) initiative. GPT provides a more flexible mechanism for partitioning disks than the older Master Boot Record (MBR) partitioning scheme that was common to PCs.
By using GPT, you could create numerous volumes to store your different data and make full use of your drive and computer space resources. However, the MBR only allows you to have four primary partitions at most and causes space waste for the 3TB drive.

vegeta1892

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Q. Is UEFI required for a GPT disk?

A. No. GPT disks are self-identifying. All the information needed to interpret the partitioning scheme of a GPT disk is completely contained in structures in specified locations on the physical media.

I think I will try with this. I does say this on the official website. Thank you.