Ancient 4850 VS 470!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boldor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Heya!

My system is equipped with a pair of suprisingly well preforming Gainward HD4850 GLH (Factory Overclock) crossfired.

Until now, they have served me very well indeed, outpreforming most modern medicore gaming gpus.
Dragging me through such titles as NFS Shift, Mass Effect 2, MW2, Mafia 2 with almost everything maxed constantly!
But this has ended, after playing some F12010 and Civ 5 today, I've come to a conclusion that this
setup is beggining to let me down. With everything maxed in both games i tend to get fps drops and even
light lagg. :sweat:

Here is the dilemma: My motherboard is designed for crossfire and my initial plan of upgrading this PC with two 460's is no more cause, as far as i know crossfire = no sli :non:
So here's the deal: I've got a OCZ ModXtream 600w PSU and I want a new GPU that not neceserly will make me buy a new one.
This GPU must be future proof, so I guess HD5xxx are out. What do you guys think? Is it worth buying a new PSU and a 480 and spending almost all my money, or should I go with something like a 470 (will the 600w be enough, will it be a major fps difference?)?

Any opinions are appriciated :)

SPECS:
Asrock M3A790GXH/128M
Phenom II 955 BE C2
4GB 1333 RAM
2x 4850 512MB
600W OCZ PSU
Antec 902 case (for size)

Solution
Hmm, you're in a pickle.

You could always opt for a Single 5870 and crossfire later, that performance would really be top notch, however at that point you would have to upgrade your PSU.

If you went Nvidia, you couldn't SLi, a 460 would be a good performance to price point, considering your current cards are only 512 mb a piece, so getting the 1gb model would be a good starting point. A second 460 later, should you decide to build a new system with an x58 layout and a beefier PSU, would give you some decent future proofing. You can OC a 460 to match a 470's performance without much trouble and in SLi, you would be set for quite a while.

TLDR: If you don't want to upgrade your current Mobo, a single 480 or a 5870 would be a great...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hmm, you're in a pickle.

You could always opt for a Single 5870 and crossfire later, that performance would really be top notch, however at that point you would have to upgrade your PSU.

If you went Nvidia, you couldn't SLi, a 460 would be a good performance to price point, considering your current cards are only 512 mb a piece, so getting the 1gb model would be a good starting point. A second 460 later, should you decide to build a new system with an x58 layout and a beefier PSU, would give you some decent future proofing. You can OC a 460 to match a 470's performance without much trouble and in SLi, you would be set for quite a while.

TLDR: If you don't want to upgrade your current Mobo, a single 480 or a 5870 would be a great upgrade. If you want to double up on 5850's in crossfire, you might need a better PSU. If you want to go SLi, you'll need a new system all together.

Solution

boldor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hmmm.. So its not rly worth buying a 470? Would you guys advise to buy a new PSU and a 480 or is it not worth it, because of the age of other components, aka. its better to wait (and work my ass off) to build a totaly new machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.