Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need 4x the power of a Q9550

Last response: in CPUs
February 11, 2011 9:28:47 AM

Someone I know has a Q9550 (Quad core)/8GB RAM and he wants a 'significant performance boost'. In his words :-

What bothers me is when I starts a AVCHD file it takes an hour to process 4GB of SD RAM to a DVD. I would like to take this time down to 10-15 minutes.

His budget for the entire CPU (Case, PSU, motherboard, graphics etc) is ~$1600.

From what I've heard and seen, an i7 2600K might reduce this time by half, but there's no way it's going to give you 4 times the power. So we're looking at Xeons, but I don't have the slightest clue about them except they have two physical processors (all of them ?). Besides, seeing that he's investing about ~$300 in a graphics card (not really a gamer), there will be plenty of dough left over.

So can you recommend me good Xeons in this price range, and what performance boost might be expected from those ? The guy is willing to wait about 2 months (which is a nice thing if he goes the Sandy Bridge way, coz of Cougar Point problems). He doesn't want to overclock.

Do tell me if by upping the budget slightly a very good processor can be had, coz as far as I know, this guy has given a budget only to look sane.

Just need the processor info and an idea of how much a Xeon motherboard will cost, and if there is a non-Xeon alternative (which I highly doubt).

Thanks.

PS : Bringing the transcoding times down (for the specific job in written in italics above) is his only concern. So let me know if QuickSync or graphics cards can do the job. I have no idea what codec is used by AVCHD.

More about : power q9550

February 11, 2011 9:54:40 AM

sorry but an Xeon will no have a increase in performance over the Desktop CPU they are based on. THey just come with Bit D etc.

And you will not find x4 the performance Of a C2QE.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=287
You will cut times in half though so i recoment the 2600K
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
February 11, 2011 9:58:08 AM

I7 2600K all the way when it is available. XEONS are really nothing different then their I7 counterparts besides the fact that they can be used in dual CPU configs and also can take advantage of ECC RAM. These processors are more designed for servers to use less power and create less heat they are also made on a higher grade of silicon to ensure the highest reliability.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 136 à CPUs
February 11, 2011 10:39:47 AM

I suspect the bottleneck is the SD Card. He should buy the fastest type available, and / or copy the subject file to a SSD for actual processing. Is this the kind of processing that Intel's new IGP handles better even than CUDA processing? If so, there's another part of the answer; if not I hope the GPU he bought can accelerate his work load. "Not being a gamer" and spending $300 on a graphics card is otherwise mindless, as he could stick to the IGP and put that money into a SSD or a RAID-0 array to speed up the job.
February 11, 2011 10:44:56 AM

1. So won't a Xeon with more cores/two physical processors provide better performance ? Or such Xeons cannot be had for the budget specified ?

2. Primary concern is making a DVD from a camcorder AVCHD file faster. Does writing a DVD from a AVCHD involve transcoding ? If yes, then would QuickSync or a GPU be helpful (Wikipedia says AVCHD uses MPEG-2/H.264 codec) ?

3. If transcoding is involved, how much performance gains can be expected from QuickSync/GPU accelerated transcoding over a Q9550 ?

4. So if he buys an i7 2600K, he wouldn't need a GPU to accelerate the transcoding, right ? QuickSync is more powerful, and if you use discrete graphics, softwares don't use/recognize QuickSync, right ?
m
l
February 11, 2011 10:56:27 AM

Onus said:
I suspect the bottleneck is the SD Card. He should buy the fastest type available, and / or copy the subject file to a SSD for actual processing. Is this the kind of processing that Intel's new IGP handles better even than CUDA processing? If so, there's another part of the answer; if not I hope the GPU he bought can accelerate his work load. "Not being a gamer" and spending $300 on a graphics card is otherwise mindless, as he could stick to the IGP and put that money into a SSD or a RAID-0 array to speed up the job.

He does copy the file to his hard disk. I'll ask him to check his CPU utilization while doing the conversion so that we know what the bottleneck is, and ask what HDD he uses.
m
l
February 19, 2011 1:11:34 AM

Best answer selected by kkiddu.
m
l
a c 136 à CPUs
February 19, 2011 1:21:49 AM

Thanks. What did he decide?
m
l
February 26, 2011 12:55:14 AM

Onus said:
Thanks. What did he decide?

Oh, I dunno. I just forwarded him the suggestions. He'll be buying in april, I think. I think I confused him further by saying that Quick Sync might give him the rendering boost he's looking for, so he should go with an i7 2600K.
m
l
!