Sign in with
Your question

Deleted partitions and then formatted - Need to reverse to access data

Last response: in Storage
February 28, 2013 10:43:50 AM

Hi guys,

I was reconfiguring my machine and wanted to get rid of a few partitions and start from scratch. I thought I had backed all my essential files up, but I stupidly didn't check whether they had been copied over fully, which they hadn't.

So I ended up deleted the partitions and then running a full disk format. I would really like to know if I can reverse this so that I can access the data. Most of the major softwares tend not to look beyond the format and into the old partitions. I've not written on the drive since format, hoping that my stupidity hasn't cost me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
February 28, 2013 11:06:13 AM

All depends on what that means: a "full disk format". If that means that you cleared the "Quick format" option and your OS is Windows Vista, 7, or 8 - your old files are overwritten with 0's and none can help you.
If that means that you simply formatted the entire disk, this article will help you: Data Recovery from an External Disk with a Damaged File System. It discusses external disks, but the exactly the same approach can be applied to any disk with a damaged / formatted file system.
February 28, 2013 11:10:23 AM

I'm sure I did a full format, I can't remember the exact method (in the past I used to run format c: in DOS) but this time I think I did it from the partition management system in windows.
Related resources
February 28, 2013 11:13:29 AM

Also, just to clarify it's an internal HDD.
a c 87 G Storage
February 28, 2013 12:33:47 PM

You require TWO THINGS:
1) another drive with enough space to copy over any data you find

2) a program to recover data from a formatted drive. You can look for free software however I had the best success with this program:
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/

Here's how it works:
Step 1 - run the software and have it SCAN the formatted drive for files
Step 2 - Select the files it finds and COPY that data to your other hard drive
Step 3 - Verify the files you copied over aren't corrupted then ORGANIZE them into folders.
February 28, 2013 7:33:36 PM

AddySoyer said:
All depends on what that means: a "full disk format". If that means that you cleared the "Quick format" option and your OS is Windows Vista, 7, or 8 - your old files are overwritten with 0's and none can help you.
If that means that you simply formatted the entire disk, this article will help you: Data Recovery from an External Disk with a Damaged File System. It discusses external disks, but the exactly the same approach can be applied to any disk with a damaged / formatted file system.

I ran R-Studio and found a partition, but I can't explore or view any files as it gives me the following error:

"The selected disk does not contain any supported files systems or the file system is corrupted"
a b G Storage
February 28, 2013 7:43:16 PM

FYI, a "complete format" takes hours. A "quick" format takes seconds. Very easy to tell them apart. Sounds to me like you're SOL.
February 28, 2013 7:50:59 PM

Its definitely a full/complete format, I was sure I didn't want any remnants of the old file structure! :( 

What does SOL mean? :whistle: 
March 1, 2013 12:38:32 AM

As I know, there are countless recovery tools online. Some of them are free, some of them are paid. You should make your decision according to your practical conditions.
March 1, 2013 1:12:24 AM

No matter whether it is a full format, for your data, I think you could also try a free partition recovery tool from http://www.freeware-fix.blogspot.com/2013/02/deleted-pa... It is really free and efficient so that you can easily tried it to take a chance for free. I trust it will do its utmost to recover your data in the sane way as it helped my friend retrieve all hi inaccessible data back from a RAW flash drive.
In the future, you should be much more careful to back up your important data on a separate drive.
March 1, 2013 9:44:01 AM

unclened said:
I ran R-Studio and found a partition, but I can't explore or view any files as it gives me the following error:

"The selected disk does not contain any supported files systems or the file system is corrupted"

That's strange, because there should be a disk with a valid file system on it after the format. Can you access the disk in Windows (it should be empty)?
If this was a really full format (for at least half an hour, I think), your files are gone, regardless of what cheap software peddlers may say.
If it might be a quick format (for several minutes), or the process was interrupted, try to scan the found partition for several GB, interrupt the process and see what it reveals.
!