Sign in with
Your question

Dual boot xp 32bit and 7 64bit on two seperate HDDs

Last response: in Storage
February 28, 2013 11:06:22 AM

In regards to this thread, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268758-32-dual-boot-w...

I have some questions, and I like your willingness to help and your answers. Therefore, I am asking for your help with my situation, and many thank you's in advance.

I have decided to use Windows 7, 64 bit, Ultimate due to directX (love them graphics). I have two hard drives and my OS is XP Pro SP3, 32 bit. Each hard drive has two partitions, if that matters. For clarification, HDD1 is XP and HDD2 is for 7. I need to put 7 on HDD2 due to lack of room anywhere else, and I have formatted one of the partitions on HDD2 just for 7.

I would love to just buy two more HDDs and transfer all my programs and files over, but that is money and a lot of time.

In that thread, Wyoming wrote: Direct, precise response. Do these steps. It will work.

Back up everything.
Install Drive II in the machine.
Boot up your XP install disk and install XP. Pick a partition on Drive II. You have just hosed your Win7 boot sequence.
Get XP to run.
Boot up your Win7 install disk and do a Repair Install. Now you can boot Win7, but probably won't get a boot option for XP. If you do get a boot option for XP, you are done.
Download and install EasyBCD in Win7. Use it to add the XP boot. I won't give directions here; the ones on their site are perfectly good.

OK.
Does this mean that I should install XP, using F6 to get the RAID drivers, onto HDD2 first? Or, do I put 7 on HDD2's partition first? I'm guessing that I put XP on HDD2 partition first, and then do a 7 REPAIR over that same partition on HDD2.

After that, then I use 7 to access EasyBCD. Please let me know what is correct.

For clarification: I am using a working copy of XP Pro SP3 32 bit fully updated. I wish to put a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the other hard drive.

Thank you for any help in these matters.

EDIT:
I have a working XP install. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit is on the second HDD and is a fresh installation. I installed it by connecting the XP HDD. I did not, however, plug the SATA into spot #1. Perhaps I should format and reinstall Windows 7 again with the SATA going into spot #1?

I have downloaded EasyBCD version 2.2. I have not used it yet due to a networking issue. I hope my LAN on my motherboard is good, but if not, I need to find a NIC card that is compatible with Windows 7.

I believe everything will work just fine, just as soon as I can get connected to the internet to get Win 7 fully updated. I posted my networking problem here :http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332314-30-help-realte...

But more to this point, I will not be able to cross programs between the two operating systems. Is this because they are NOT on the same HDD? Or it doesn't matter if they are on the same HDD? Either way, I guess that is not too big a deal. I should just go all out Windows 7. This part probably wasn't very clear, so here: 1) If XP is installed first and then 7 is installed onto two different partitions on the same HDD, do the two operating systems share the programs and files? 2) If the two operating systems are on two different HDDs, then the operating systems do not share files and programs?

Thank you,
aquar.
a c 289 G Storage
March 1, 2013 12:23:18 PM

The second part does make things clearer. Thank you.

To port #1: It doesn't matter what port the drive is on when the install is done (as long as it is one of the chipset ports, not a Marvell controller or something). The reason for putting the intended boot drive on port 1 is to preserve boot order. Every time you add, remove, or move a drive, the BIOS tends to reset the boot order. Mine always sets to the drive on the lowest-numbered port, so I put my boot drive on port 1. No more boot sequence problems.

Second, you cannot run programs installed into one OS from another installation, even an installation of the same OS. Same drive, different drive, doesn't matter. For most applications, the installation process makes entries in the registry and may write files to the /windows directory tree, the /users tree, and the /Documents_and_settings tree. Because these entries are not there in OS #2, the applications will not run.

A small number of applications are designed to be "portable" and not suffer this problem, but they are rare.

Third, there is little difference between installing both OSes on partitions on one drive or installing them on separate drives. Personally, I use separate drives. If one fails, the other is still there.

There are some subtle differences that have to do with how the system starts the boot process. If you had a bootable XP drive in your system when you installed Win7, even if you installed Win7 on a different disk, then the Win7 boot loader replaced your XP boot loader and you system boot will actually start from the XP disk, even when you boot 7. If you care about this, I can provide more detail.
m
l
!