Sign in with
Your question

Why is my Radeon 5770 frame rate so low?? 18FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2010 6:13:06 PM

I got a Radeon 5770. It's not overclocked but I think it should still be running way better than this. I just started playing Final Fantasy XIV & I'm only getting 18 FPS. I even put everything on low settings (No AA or any other of those other boxes checkmarked) & I'm still only getting 20 FPS avg running 1280x720.

Also, I downloaded the official Final Fantasy XIV Benchmark software (frame rates on a cutscene) here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/download/benchm...

My system scored 3485, according to the link above it means:
[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.

My system specs:
Intel Quad-core Q6600 @2.4GHz
6 GB DDR2

I just don't understand, can anyone help? Thanks
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 6:19:24 PM

You got "fairly high performance" from a fairly high performance card. That sounds about right. However, 18FPS at your resolution is quite low. Have you tried benchmarking in other games to get a more accurate reading? Try OCing that Q6600 to 3.0 or so if you're worrying too much about low framerate.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 6:20:29 PM

My first thought is drivers, and also, I believe FF XIV is still in beta right?

m
l
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 6:22:40 PM

Hmm I think Boris has it. Most likely it doesn't have official support yet. But it could be something like your RAM is full and file paging is kicking your ass lol.

It would be a good idea to open task manager while gaming then check it after a minute or so and see what kind of RAM usage as well as CPU usage you're having. Also if you have MSI Afterburner you can see if your cards are at max usage. Sometimes when not supported the gpu will run at like 50% and give shitty FPS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 6:31:53 PM

^^+1

Didn't think of that. Yeah use MSI Afterburner and see what activity is happening. Modern GPU's will underclock themselves when not in use for a 3d application, since FF XIV is still in it's finishing phases and Driver support is an on going thing, the GPU might not be recognizing FFXIV and not clocking itself back up properly, which would definitely explain the low framerates.
m
l
September 24, 2010 6:34:13 PM

FFXIV is a beast. I'm running the game on an Asus ROG Matrix 5870 and found that performance was very taxing on the card as well (running fullscreen 1080p all settings on high with 2xAA struggles to maintain 32fps).

HOWEVER my advice to you in the meantime if you really want to boost performance right away without sacrificing your quality too much is to limit your frame buffer in the config settings. Start by putting the frame buffer at 3/4 and if that doesn't pick up enough for you try 2/3. If you have to do 1/2 frame buffer or lower though it's not even worth playing because it looks like an NES game (but your fps will prolly boost to 90 at that point). You should be able to run fullscreen 720p with frame buffer at 3/4 and post decent fps (and the graphics should still look quite decent as well)
m
l
September 24, 2010 7:31:48 PM

The game is not in beta. The open beta finished last week you can't play the beta anymore. The collector's edition retail release is live and fully playable as of Sep 22
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 7:52:21 PM

So have you checked CPU, RAM, and GPU usage while gaming yet? It's important to know because if they're all working hard, chances are there's just a setting you're missing.

PS: you should open Catalyst Control Center and make sure all the boxes are ticked for "Use Application Settings" just in case you're accidentally forcing like 8xSSAA or something lol.
m
l
September 24, 2010 9:43:30 PM

Yeah, I downloaded the latest drivers & game patches before installing the game. The collector's edition was releases on Wednesday, it's not beta but it's still fairly new i guess.

Other games have always ran totally fine. This is the first time I've ever even had to put a game in 1280x720. Previously I've ran every game in 1920x1080 medium settings & they've always been 40-50fps (even the new racing game BLUR).

Catalyst Control Center settings are all good.

System resources while in mid-game FFXIV: CPU usage 40% RAM also 40%

I'm downloading MSI Afterburner, I'll see what it has to show.

m
l
September 24, 2010 9:56:36 PM

skolpo said:
You got "fairly high performance" from a fairly high performance card. That sounds about right. However, 18FPS at your resolution is quite low. Have you tried benchmarking in other games to get a more accurate reading? Try OCing that Q6600 to 3.0 or so if you're worrying too much about low framerate.

Skolpo, The thing I was trying to point out about the benchmark software specifically for FFXIV, is that it tells me my system should run FFXIV at fairly high performance.

But instead, my system runs the actual game at 18 FPS which is a fairly LOW performance. It just seems odd.

m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 9:59:36 PM

Well if the GPU usage is high in Afterburner, looks like you just need to drop the settings more. Start with AA and AF, and see where that gets you...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 11:07:06 PM

fluke83 said:
Skolpo, The thing I was trying to point out about the benchmark software specifically for FFXIV, is that it tells me my system should run FFXIV at fairly high performance.

But instead, my system runs the actual game at 18 FPS which is a fairly LOW performance. It just seems odd.

Try running benchmarks in other games. It can be a problem that is specific to the final fantasy game. Heck, use Vantage too if you have to.
m
l
September 24, 2010 11:42:36 PM

Alright guys, I think I found the problem. Wolfram, you pointed it out first. MSI Afterburner is showing only between 25-27% GPU usage while playing FFXIV. But, when I played a different game it was staying above 60% jumping around.

By the way, MSI Afterburner is a handy tool, I found out my fan & temp are running good which was something I was wondering about. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

OK, so here's the bigger question. How do I fix this problem?
Recap: While playing FFXIV the GPU usage is stuck at 25%, but the rest of the graphs were in good standing.

PS. When I start up FFXIV the GPU usage will spike to 90% like 3 times, then dips to 25% for good.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 11:49:08 PM

you need to overclock your cpu plain and simple 2.4 GHZ is not fast enough to push out the frames
m
l
September 24, 2010 11:55:59 PM

spentshells said:
you need to overclock your cpu plain and simple 2.4 GHZ is not fast enough to push out the frames

We are talking about Graphics Processing Unit, Spentshells. GPU not CPU
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 12:34:58 AM

So you're telling us the CPU has nothing to do with frame rates? OC your Q6600...
m
l
September 25, 2010 12:35:28 AM

Anyone have any suggestions?

MSI Afterburner showed my gpu usage is stuck at 25% when I play Final Fantasy XIV and my frame rate is in the teens. All my other games play fine & it shows their gpu usage is like 80-90%

Can anyone help?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 12:36:13 AM

fluke83 said:
We are talking about Graphics Processing Unit, Spentshells. GPU not CPU

So CPU performance has no bearing on GPU performance eh?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 12:39:46 AM

@skolpo Two minutes faster than me, good on ya!
m
l
September 25, 2010 12:40:59 AM

Mousemonkey said:
So CPU performance has no bearing on GPU performance eh?

Thats right, I recently took out my CPU because I did not need it for gaming it was just making extra heat.
m
l
September 25, 2010 1:01:27 AM

No doubt a CPU has alot to do with performance, and I'm sure OC'ing would improve alot. And I'll do that as soon as I take my CPU off my mobo, and take my mobo out of my freakin DELL case. Cuz my BIOS won't allow it.

So, are you guys saying that my gpu usage staying between 25-27% on FFXIV is normal? And other games will utilize 90% of it? That's just how it works, and I should search elsewhere for problem.

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm not super savvy with this stuff. I just wanna figure this out, so I can play tonite
m
l
September 25, 2010 1:07:07 AM

By the way, during FFXIV gameplay:

CPU usage hovers around 50%
Memory usage hovers around 40%

If that helps any
m
l
September 25, 2010 1:20:51 AM

Do you guys think DirectX could have anything to do with it, becuz I think I'm still running DirectX 9. How can I find that out?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 1:47:57 AM

It's definitely not normal. Try fooling around with different Catalyst A.I. settings, within the 3D tab of CCC. Turn it off, normal, and advanced and see if that has any bearing on GPU usage.

Considering CPU is 50% with such low GPU usage, I would think that OCing it could help out FPS once you get the GPU issue solved, but wait and see where you're at since it sounds like you'll need a new motherboard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 1:59:08 AM

2.4 Ghz I have a default 2.6ghz I see huge jumps in performance (framerates)
all the way up to 4.0ghz less so after 3.6Ghz

didn't notice the dell part well I'm not to sure what to say that is just really not fast enough to get the frames up

I would think that the #'S YOU ARE SHOWING are maybe about right the CPU is working it's butt off but can not keep up
with the GPU although I do not know much about the FF series for PC
m
l
September 25, 2010 4:12:26 PM

OK guys here is a Zinger!! This also proves the problem cannot be hardware related. (I'm not looking for optimal performance anyways, I just want to normally play the game)

Tell me if this doesn't confuse the heck out of ya. That Final Fantasy XIV Benchmark Software I was talking about, it uses the FFXIV gaming engine to test your system's ability to handle the actual game, a good thing to know before you spend $$ on a game.

I ran FRAPS on both:
Benchmark software frame rate 1280x720 - (58 FPS) 1920x1080 - 48 FPS

Actual game frame rate 1280x720 - (18 FPS)

I'll also mention, Graphics card usage:
Benchmark Software - 90%
Actual Game - 25%

I've tried backdating drivers with no luck.
m
l
September 25, 2010 4:26:05 PM

fluke83 said:
OK guys here is a Zinger!! This also proves the problem cannot be hardware related. (I'm not looking for optimal performance anyways, I just want to normally play the game)

Tell me if this doesn't confuse the heck out of ya. That Final Fantasy XIV Benchmark Software I was talking about, it uses the FFXIV gaming engine to test your system's ability to handle the actual game, a good thing to know before you spend $$ on a game.

I ran FRAPS on both:
Benchmark software frame rate 1280x720 - (58 FPS) 1920x1080 - 48 FPS

Actual game frame rate 1280x720 - (18 FPS)

I'll also mention, Graphics card usage:
Benchmark Software - 90%
Actual Game - 25%

I've tried backdating drivers with no luck.

The game is different from the benchmark, the benchmark was in a window and the game is in full screen no? Your CPU acts differently in full screen then in a window. I would say it's a mix of cpu bottleneck, game engine and ati needs to update their drivers to better suit this game.
m
l
September 25, 2010 4:59:48 PM

fatedcloud said:
The game is different from the benchmark, the benchmark was in a window and the game is in full screen no? Your CPU acts differently in full screen then in a window. I would say it's a mix of cpu bottleneck, game engine and ati needs to update their drivers to better suit this game.

No, I was running the game in a window too; trying to keep variables the same. I'm not using any AA, AF or anything like that in the game either.
m
l
September 25, 2010 5:07:28 PM

fluke83 said:
No, I was running the game in a window too; trying to keep variables the same. I'm not using any AA, AF or anything like that in the game either.

Still, your problems do state that the benchmark and game are indeed different. To me it looks like the benchmark was more gpu reliant and the actually game more cpu reliant. That and both Nvidia and ATI need to better their drivers for this game, it is a new release and Square could also optimize their game engine.

And also the population of other people around you in-game also effects frame rates in a way the benchmark does not. Square's benchmark was not perfect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 5:20:47 PM

CPU is the bottleneck in that resolution, theres no doubt about it. get a new mobo and OC or then get a new mobo and CPU.
m
l
September 25, 2010 5:29:17 PM

I've read on the net many people with systems less powerful than mine that do great with FFXIV online. Here is a quoted example below from gamespot forums talking about running Final Fantasy XIV Online.

"I have a Q6600@2.4 (stock), and an 8800GT. Running 1680x900, 2xAA, Shadows standard, no AO, and get great framerates whilst the game still looks great. Not sure how much better the gtx 470 is than the 8800GT"
m
l
September 25, 2010 5:32:13 PM

Derbixrace said:
CPU is the bottleneck in that resolution, theres no doubt about it. get a new mobo and OC or then get a new mobo and CPU.

Or do what i did and get a new Mobo, Ram, and CPU for under 400 bucks. I feel ya though man but FF14 the game is pretty hard on hardware. You thought it was, but the benchmark really wasn't that accurate. If you wait for ATI/Square to get on their stuff you'll see a little performance gain after a bit but yeah. I would just upgrade to Dual-Channel DDR3 memory, get a faster CPU and motherboard. Might as well upgrade to the 1156 Socket if you have money. If you don't have money i would check on your memory to make sure it's not running in single channel. Do a clean sweep of drivers and reinstall to make sure. And OC your CPU.
m
l
September 25, 2010 5:35:09 PM

fluke83 said:
I've read on the net many people with systems less powerful than mine that do great with FFXIV online. Here is a quoted example below from gamespot forums talking about running Final Fantasy XIV Online.

"I have a Q6600@2.4 (stock), and an 8800GT. Running 1680x900, 2xAA, Shadows standard, no AO, and get great framerates whilst the game still looks great. Not sure how much better the gtx 470 is than the 8800GT"

The 8800GT and 9800GT seem to run good in this game compared to other graphics cards for some reason. Sold my 9800GT to my friend and he's beastin. Check on your memory though, that might be a problem.

And are you having problems in other games? Might be a bad card.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 5:41:56 PM

It sounds more like driver issues than a CPU bottleneck. Not saying a CPU OC won't net benefits, it will, but his CPU usage is still pretty low.

Have you tried a full uninstall of your drivers and then reinstalling 10.9? By this I mean uninstall through "Add/Remove Programs" all the ATI drivers and CCC stuff, then run driver sweeper to really delete them, then run Ccleaner to clean up your registry. Then reboot and install 10.9 fresh.
m
l
September 25, 2010 6:43:50 PM

Wolfram23, You may have been onto something with the Catalyst AI. I checkmarked disable Catalyst AI & the GPU usage went to 50%, but sadly the game didn't improve any though.

Yeah, I was going to do a full uninstall & reinstall today anyways. I'll use that freeware u mentioned too. I'm gonna reinstall FFXIV also & choose a different server, c if that helps.

By the way pple, I just spent every bit of $$ I had on a new Graphics Card & Power Supply just so I could play this game when it came out. It should run the game fine. Which it does, on other machines w/ the same hardware for some reason.
m
l
September 25, 2010 7:36:10 PM

I'm running driver sweeper & it found 3 NVIDIA drivers (Chipset, Display, & PhysX). But I have no NVIDIA hardware only ATI. (Maybe its for Mobo, cuz my mobo has a VGA plug-in)

Is it safe to uninstall these drivers too?
m
l
September 25, 2010 8:18:59 PM

I don't know whether I feel smart or stupid the problem is obviously to do with ati software limiting your hardware while playing the game theres is no need to "OC" your comp to run that game @ 35+ frames on medium settings. i don't have an ati card so i cant help you too much but i can tell you that it seem to be a problem with something restricting your gpu while playing that game, hope you the best on your journey to fix it, moose.
m
l
September 25, 2010 9:24:59 PM

moosemaster said:
I don't know whether I feel smart or stupid the problem is obviously to do with ati software limiting your hardware while playing the game theres is no need to "OC" your comp to run that game @ 35+ frames on medium settings. i don't have an ati card so i cant help you too much but i can tell you that it seem to be a problem with something restricting your gpu while playing that game, hope you the best on your journey to fix it, moose.

It could also be a bad card.
m
l
September 25, 2010 10:11:20 PM

moosemaster said:

Thank you, moose, that's what I been trying to get people to understand. And fatecloud, I'm pretty sure it's not my individual card because I finally found some others with the same card having the exact same issue. And yeah dipanker, I already tried backdated drivers.
m
l
September 25, 2010 10:13:55 PM

fluke83 said:
Thank you, moose, that's what I been trying to get people to understand. And fatecloud, I'm pretty sure it's not my individual card because I finally found some others with the same card having the exact same issue. And yeah dipanker, I already tried backdated drivers.

You don't understand, you could have a faulty card. Meaning a defective card. Card defects do happen, the same with ram modules.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 10:20:06 PM

There's a reason that I've been asking you to benchmark other games for a reason. Obviously, there are chances that the game is at fault. But if you don't bother to listen, why bother asking for help?
m
l
September 25, 2010 10:22:16 PM

skolpo said:
There's a reason that I've been asking you to benchmark other games for a reason. Obviously, there are chances that the game is at fault. But if you don't bother to listen, why bother asking for help?

I asked him earlier too, the only way you can be sure if it's a bad card is to try out different games and see if anything happens.

And btw fluke, could you check cpuid and give us what your Memory says. That also might be causing a problem since you have 3 2gb sticks in ddr2.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 11:05:42 PM

skolpo said:

LOL, really best answer. thread over. OK, I'm kidding.
But just eliminate the card by running some benchmarks. Avp, dirt 2, 3dmark vantage.
lost planet. Heaven.

This can definitely be a driver issue, this game according to wikipedia is not widely out.
Mentions sept 30. Either way, its fairly NEW. Starcraft II had many bugs on older drivers. It may be a combination of other software on the ops computer and the gpu driver. Once the game is in the hands of millions of people, many unknown bugs will be discovered. If you have bad luck ,discovered by you.
m
l
September 25, 2010 11:50:40 PM

Problem Solved Culpret: Server

LOL...I quote myself from my 1st post after starting the thread:

"Other games have always ran totally fine. This is the first time I've ever even had to put a game in 1280x720. Previously I've ran every game in 1920x1080 medium settings & they've always been 40-50fps (even the new racing game BLUR). "

I reinstalled the game & stared a New Character in a New World, ran fine. Getting 40 FPS now, same as my other games. GPU usage looks normal too.

I did do a complete clean install of the drivers. But I know the problem was the server because I tried out my old character in the old world again & the problem was still there (gpu usage stuck 25% too).

But, all seems good. The game plays great with the new character. The game is absolutely gorgeous by the way.

Square Enix prolly runs their servers from Japan halfway across the world or something.
m
l
September 26, 2010 12:04:53 AM

fluke83 said:
Problem Solved Culpret: Server

LOL...I quote myself from my 1st post after starting the thread:

"Other games have always ran totally fine. This is the first time I've ever even had to put a game in 1280x720. Previously I've ran every game in 1920x1080 medium settings & they've always been 40-50fps (even the new racing game BLUR). "

I reinstalled the game & stared a New Character in a New World, ran fine. Getting 40 FPS now, same as my other games. GPU usage looks normal too.

I did do a complete clean install of the drivers. But I know the problem was the server because I tried out my old character in the old world again & the problem was still there (gpu usage stuck 25% too).

But, all seems good. The game plays great with the new character. The game is absolutely gorgeous by the way.

Square Enix prolly runs their servers from Japan halfway across the world or something.

Nice.
m
l
September 26, 2010 12:45:40 AM

Thanks for your help too guys. At least I learned how to better adapt my system for gaming along the way while working on this problem. I've been wondering about the synergy of my new hardware & needing to analyze it, but kept putting it off.

I seriously can't wait though, till I have the dough to get a new case, mobo, & start OC'ing.
m
l
!