Why is my Radeon 5770 frame rate so low?? 18FPS

fluke83

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
I got a Radeon 5770. It's not overclocked but I think it should still be running way better than this. I just started playing Final Fantasy XIV & I'm only getting 18 FPS. I even put everything on low settings (No AA or any other of those other boxes checkmarked) & I'm still only getting 20 FPS avg running 1280x720.

Also, I downloaded the official Final Fantasy XIV Benchmark software (frame rates on a cutscene) here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/download/benchmark01.html

My system scored 3485, according to the link above it means:
[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.

My system specs:
Intel Quad-core Q6600 @2.4GHz
6 GB DDR2

I just don't understand, can anyone help? Thanks

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
You got "fairly high performance" from a fairly high performance card. That sounds about right. However, 18FPS at your resolution is quite low. Have you tried benchmarking in other games to get a more accurate reading? Try OCing that Q6600 to 3.0 or so if you're worrying too much about low framerate.

Hmm I think Boris has it. Most likely it doesn't have official support yet. But it could be something like your RAM is full and file paging is kicking your ass lol.

It would be a good idea to open task manager while gaming then check it after a minute or so and see what kind of RAM usage as well as CPU usage you're having. Also if you have MSI Afterburner you can see if your cards are at max usage. Sometimes when not supported the gpu will run at like 50% and give shitty FPS.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
^^+1

Didn't think of that. Yeah use MSI Afterburner and see what activity is happening. Modern GPU's will underclock themselves when not in use for a 3d application, since FF XIV is still in it's finishing phases and Driver support is an on going thing, the GPU might not be recognizing FFXIV and not clocking itself back up properly, which would definitely explain the low framerates.

ei8htbit

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
FFXIV is a beast. I'm running the game on an Asus ROG Matrix 5870 and found that performance was very taxing on the card as well (running fullscreen 1080p all settings on high with 2xAA struggles to maintain 32fps).

HOWEVER my advice to you in the meantime if you really want to boost performance right away without sacrificing your quality too much is to limit your frame buffer in the config settings. Start by putting the frame buffer at 3/4 and if that doesn't pick up enough for you try 2/3. If you have to do 1/2 frame buffer or lower though it's not even worth playing because it looks like an NES game (but your fps will prolly boost to 90 at that point). You should be able to run fullscreen 720p with frame buffer at 3/4 and post decent fps (and the graphics should still look quite decent as well)

ei8htbit

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
The game is not in beta. The open beta finished last week you can't play the beta anymore. The collector's edition retail release is live and fully playable as of Sep 22

So have you checked CPU, RAM, and GPU usage while gaming yet? It's important to know because if they're all working hard, chances are there's just a setting you're missing.

PS: you should open Catalyst Control Center and make sure all the boxes are ticked for "Use Application Settings" just in case you're accidentally forcing like 8xSSAA or something lol.

fluke83

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Yeah, I downloaded the latest drivers & game patches before installing the game. The collector's edition was releases on Wednesday, it's not beta but it's still fairly new i guess.

Other games have always ran totally fine. This is the first time I've ever even had to put a game in 1280x720. Previously I've ran every game in 1920x1080 medium settings & they've always been 40-50fps (even the new racing game BLUR).

Catalyst Control Center settings are all good.

System resources while in mid-game FFXIV: CPU usage 40% RAM also 40%

I'm downloading MSI Afterburner, I'll see what it has to show.

fluke83

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010

Skolpo, The thing I was trying to point out about the benchmark software specifically for FFXIV, is that it tells me my system should run FFXIV at fairly high performance.

But instead, my system runs the actual game at 18 FPS which is a fairly LOW performance. It just seems odd.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Try running benchmarks in other games. It can be a problem that is specific to the final fantasy game. Heck, use Vantage too if you have to.

fluke83

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Alright guys, I think I found the problem. Wolfram, you pointed it out first. MSI Afterburner is showing only between 25-27% GPU usage while playing FFXIV. But, when I played a different game it was staying above 60% jumping around.

By the way, MSI Afterburner is a handy tool, I found out my fan & temp are running good which was something I was wondering about. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

OK, so here's the bigger question. How do I fix this problem?
Recap: While playing FFXIV the GPU usage is stuck at 25%, but the rest of the graphs were in good standing.

PS. When I start up FFXIV the GPU usage will spike to 90% like 3 times, then dips to 25% for good.

fluke83

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010

We are talking about Graphics Processing Unit, Spentshells. GPU not CPU

fluke83

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Anyone have any suggestions?

MSI Afterburner showed my gpu usage is stuck at 25% when I play Final Fantasy XIV and my frame rate is in the teens. All my other games play fine & it shows their gpu usage is like 80-90%

Can anyone help?

fluke83

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
No doubt a CPU has alot to do with performance, and I'm sure OC'ing would improve alot. And I'll do that as soon as I take my CPU off my mobo, and take my mobo out of my freakin DELL case. Cuz my BIOS won't allow it.

So, are you guys saying that my gpu usage staying between 25-27% on FFXIV is normal? And other games will utilize 90% of it? That's just how it works, and I should search elsewhere for problem.

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm not super savvy with this stuff. I just wanna figure this out, so I can play tonite

It's definitely not normal. Try fooling around with different Catalyst A.I. settings, within the 3D tab of CCC. Turn it off, normal, and advanced and see if that has any bearing on GPU usage.

Considering CPU is 50% with such low GPU usage, I would think that OCing it could help out FPS once you get the GPU issue solved, but wait and see where you're at since it sounds like you'll need a new motherboard.

2.4 Ghz I have a default 2.6ghz I see huge jumps in performance (framerates)
all the way up to 4.0ghz less so after 3.6Ghz

didn't notice the dell part well I'm not to sure what to say that is just really not fast enough to get the frames up

I would think that the #'S YOU ARE SHOWING are maybe about right the CPU is working it's butt off but can not keep up
with the GPU although I do not know much about the FF series for PC