Solved

ESD bracelet, is it really necessary ?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2010 12:03:18 PM

hello im just going to build a new system, and wondering how important is a ESD bracelet ?

More about : esd bracelet

a c 121 B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 3:48:01 PM

I never use one. However, I do build on a sheet of anti-static foam.
m
l

Best solution

November 17, 2010 5:56:14 PM

yes and no. You might hear a lot of people that say they have been building pcs forever and have never used one and never been the victim of ESD so you don't need one. You can get away without using one and decrease your chance of experiencing ESD by: build on wood or tile floors (avoid building on carpet), always touch something metal like the case or powersupply before you handle any hardware (this will discharge any built up charge), and keep furry animals away from where you are building (I had one builder tell me that cats are little walking static death bombs lol). I personally use one just to be on the safe side. It was only 5 bucks.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 6:12:59 PM

They are a pain in the but sometimes but if you wear it you decrease your chances of ruining your new equipment by ESD by 100%. rugs, cats, dogs, sweaters. Why take the chance?
m
l
November 18, 2010 4:42:52 AM

cheers for all the info, but yeh i figured just touching the computer case was enough... thanks allot :) 

but now i got a bios problem, all the power is supplied to the hardware but when its connected to the monitor the bios doesnt show up :( 

any help?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2010 4:50:04 AM

Run this checklist, don't skip any steps. If you still are having trouble let us know.
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:23:29 PM

thanks heaps, but we figured out the problem a while ago, i just forgot the thread.. it was a really stupid mistake :/ 

:) 
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:24:26 PM

Best answer selected by DMN_pro.
m
l