A Disk Error Occurred

macdona

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello,
I have a brand new system consisting of an ASUS M5A-97 AM3+ MB, AMD FX-4170 CPU, 2x2Gb of Kingston DDR3 and a Seagate 2 TB SATA 6 Gb/sec HDD. I have installed Win XP 32-bit SP2. I currently have the MB configured to access the HDD using IDE mode as there are no native AHCI Win XP drivers. Approximately one time in eight bootups I get the above error message. I press Ctrl-Alt-Del and the system loads normally. I have run the long test in Seatools for DOS three times with NO errors and MemTest also with NO errors. What is going on with this system? Should I endeavour to seek an AHCI XP driver and reload XP?
Thanks.

UPDATE (2013): This is a known issue with the MB and ASUS has provided a BIOS update to resolver this problem for those that continue with this MB using the older IDE hard disk mode. Also, I updated the PC to a Windows 7 64 bit system using AHCI and there was no disk error with this setup.

nseamans

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

First off I just want to let you know that you are running a 32 bit os with a 64 bit processor, you are pretty much maxed for some of the components and from my understanding you will not even utilize the full 4 gigs of ram. Might want to think about this.

Anyways its an odd error. I would go for some type of disk failure prediction software your disk could have some errors that just are not fully realized yet (if that makes sense, if not just think it could maybe fail soon). It also could be a OS problem. I recommend trying a system restore, if you use a restore point before the problem that will tell you if it is the os and you can go further from that. Other than that you can try a full restore or a restore from a factory partition if you have one on disk. GO from there and test everything, if there is still an error its probably a disk problem. Without seeing some history and use its hard to pin point where the problem is.

macdona

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

nseamans,
Thank you for your reply. There's no long history on the system as it is a custom built unit (January 2013) and I installed my own (genuine) copy of Win XP. Due to a driver update problem with the graphics card, I had to do a complete OS reinstall (with all updates) in February. The boot up glitch persisted right after the reinstall, so there's no restore point to go to.
Based on what you said about the 32/64 bit issue, would it be worthwhile to buy a copy of Windows 7 to get the full benefit of my new hardware and perhaps this may also resolve the bootup glitch? Having passed the Seatools test three times, I doubt that the HDD is faulty.
Thanks