$1400 Gaming System

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2010 12:13:58 PM

Hello experts, I'm building my first gaming pc and I don't have that much experience in building pc's but I've done some upgrades to my old pc so I'm a bit aware of how things work. I'm not that confident about my knowledge :D  so I'm seeking your advice on this one. Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: Christmas or early next year if I can still wait for new parts' releases

Budget Range: $1400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching HD movies, surfing the net

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speaker, Monitor, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: I still can't decide between Intel and AMD build so feel free to suggest builds for both.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future, but not right now.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future but not right now.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (I'm not that sure about this as I haven't tried this resolution yet but my Samsung PX2370's specs says this resolution)

Additional Comments: I'm not that choosy in terms of cases but I'm looking for a case with good cable management and good air flow.

More about : 1400 gaming system

a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2010 12:50:07 PM

Actually for half price and no render/encode one could get a HD6850-Quad+CF capable thang going ^^

Edit : Get the HD 6870 here
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PC-6870_1G&tit...

Optional Items

Scythe MUGEN-2 Rev.B cooler $34
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-MUGENB&tit...

Review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...

60GB Sandforce based SSD $105AR Free Ship
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another HD 6870 $240

HD6K: single/CF review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-685...
November 17, 2010 1:01:14 PM

my build, Drop the OS +95 switch to a hyper 212+. makes the total = $1402
Related resources
November 19, 2010 10:50:20 AM
November 19, 2010 1:35:48 PM

perfect.
a b 4 Gaming
November 19, 2010 2:46:49 PM

The proposed build looks great.

For $130 ($110 after $20 MIR), you could add a 60 GB Mushkin Callisto SSD if you wanted, but that's about the only improvement I think you can make.

Theoretically you could go with an i5/P55 setup, but it's likely to be $50-$100 more (not counting combos), without a huge benefit in most games.
November 19, 2010 3:31:25 PM

I don't think that case is terrible, I have read great things about the airflow and ease of installation with the lancool toolless design. Plus it looks clean and slick. Anyway, maybe the OP isn't looking for a full tower case.
November 20, 2010 7:42:52 AM

Hmm, didn't see that the ODD was IDE, thanks. BTW, is there a big difference between IDE and SATA in ODD's?? For HDD's I'm sure SATA is faster but would you really notice it in ODD's(specially for me since I rarely use it)?? Anyway, the Lancool PC-K62 seems like a good case to me. I've read good reviews about it, and some people include that in top choices together with Cooler Master HAF series.

I checked out a few cases on newegg, here they are:

NZXT Hades Crafted Series HADE-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case = $69.99

NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case = $89.99

Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case = $119.99

Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition with Docking Station (NewEgg Exclusive) SECC / Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case = $104.99

What do you think about these cases?
a b 4 Gaming
November 20, 2010 4:32:24 PM

I'd be surprised if you noticed the difference, but you can get a DVD writer for $15-20, so I'm not sure that combo is much of a deal. You could buy the Lian Li case and a SATA DVD drive for approximately the same price. (Ok, $3 more.)

As long as you get a case that doesn't receive horrible reviews (try googling for case reviews, such as "element g case review"), get whatever you think looks good. I think the Element G and the Hades look pretty good, but my taste rarely agrees with anyone else on this forum. :) 
November 20, 2010 4:45:08 PM

I've got the thermaltake element G it looks great IMO it looks better in real life than on the pics plus the colourshift fans are impressive. I find it a great case aside from the fact that only 1 fan has a filter and it's a pain in the but to clean.

@ Coldsleep, I know the feeling lol, I like lian li and silverstone and likewise brands the disagreeance on this forum is large however.
a b 4 Gaming
November 20, 2010 5:10:54 PM

I have the Element G's big brother, the Spedo Advance (I got a great deal on it, didn't pay anywhere near what newegg is charging right now), and the Element G has a couple of features that I wish were included on the Spedo Advance.

I wouldn't mind the color-shifting fans (I replaced my front red fan outright), and the I/O panel is a little more complete than the one on the Spedo (though I guess I have an eSATA port).

The 230mm fan on the Spedo Advance is the same as the one on the Element G, and it's incredibly quiet.

Whoops. I got carried away. Definitely not trying to talk you into this specific case, khayadrin, just commenting on some of the features on the Element G that may not be on some of the other cases.

If you have the money to spend on a nicer case, and you like it, go for it. A case can easily last 2-3 builds, unlike many of the other parts in a computer. If you don't have room in your budget though, just get something that you like the looks of, as you're the one that has to look at it every day, not us. :) 
November 26, 2010 10:45:40 AM

Hi, thanks again for your replies.

Quote:
I've got the thermaltake element G it looks great IMO it looks better in real life than on the pics plus the colourshift fans are impressive. I find it a great case aside from the fact that only 1 fan has a filter and it's a pain in the but to clean.

@ Coldsleep, I know the feeling lol, I like lian li and silverstone and likewise brands the disagreeance on this forum is large however.

@Somebody_007 - Yeah I agree on your choices too, I like Lian Li cases too and the Element G looks good also.

Quote:
If you have the money to spend on a nicer case, and you like it, go for it. A case can easily last 2-3 builds, unlike many of the other parts in a computer. If you don't have room in your budget though, just get something that you like the looks of, as you're the one that has to look at it every day, not us. :) 

@coldsleep - You definitely have a point there coldsleep. I think I'll take your advice and research more on some of the cases that I have my eyes on since I'm the one who'll be using it. As long as the case doesn't have a bad review and has a good airflow(+ it has good cable management), that'll probably work for me(thanks to coldsleep again for this advice).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your advice. Greatly appreciate it.
!