Hard disk fast bad sector marker

bikestunt

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello, do you guys know a good Hard drive software to mark bad sectors, rather than repairing the sector just a software that would mark the bad sectors in order to not read on those bad sectors as I want to recover files from the HDD but don't want to wait 50 days to repair it.

Thanks!

Chkdsk can do that for you.

chkdsk c: /f /r

Substitute your correct drive letter and be prepaired to wait a long time if it's a large drive. The only way to mark bad sectors is to try and read every sector, thus the long time.

A full format (instead of quick format) also does this. of course you would only do this on a new drive so as not to lose data.

switchmenot

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
The Windows Error-checking tool can absolutely do that for you:
Randomly right click a partition in “My Computer” to select “Properties”=> Open “Tools” tab and hit “Check Now”=> Mark “Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

That's the UI for chkdsk. The /f = fix errors automatically, /r = scan for and attempt recovery of sectors.

Hi there bikestunt,

The chkdsk command should do the job as the other guys already suggested. Just keep in mind that this will not fix you drive and bad sectors will eventually continue to appear. If this is your only drive, I would advise you to back up the data that is stored on it as it is considered to be unreliable.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Running CHKDSK in repair mode against a drive that has numerous bad sectors is not a good idea. Just ask the professionals at HDD Guru. A much safer approach would be to clone your drive, sector by sector, using a tool such as ddrescue. Then recover your data from the clone.