Sign in with
Your question

Amd equivalent to i5 configuration

Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2010 1:55:37 PM

Hi all,

Thanks to MadAdmiral and more people who helped me build a healthy system are needed once again from me :) 
this is the configuration with i5

CPU Core i5 760 Quad Core (2.8GHz (Turbo Boost), 8MB, LGA1156) BOX
MB Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Graphic MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC
RAM 2x 2GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Patriot / 2x 2GB DD3 1600MHZ, Kingston
HDD "Seagate 500GB 7200rpm 16MB / Samsung
Power CORSAIR / CHIEFTEC - SUPER 650W

Now before i buy this one i got into recommendations from other people that i should get AMD instead i5 - more people said to me AMD is cheaper and you get the same performance for better price - if so please help me build equivalent or a bit stronger configuration to the i5 written above.
Thanks in advance ALLOT!
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 2:10:37 PM

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $156 - or the 965 or 970 for a little more
Mobo - ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 - $160 - USB 3.0, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, 2 PCI-E lanes at 16x

The dual PCI-E slots at 16x won't make a huge difference unless you're installing 2 giant GPUs on there, but it is a major difference between AM3 and P55. If you don't intend to CrossFire, you can get a much less expensive, but still quality, board like the $99 Gigabyte 870A-UD3.

If you don't intend to go with a dual-card setup, you can keep the GTX 460. If you want to eventually go with a dual-card setup, you'll need to stick to AMD cards, with the new 6850 being the most equivalent card to a GTX 460.

An equivalent machine is probably only going to save $50-75. If you're just looking at gaming performance though, you could drop the processor significantly, say to an Athlon II X3 and save another $75 or so. It won't be as good in productivity, but should generally be almost as good at gaming.

CrossFire capable setup - CPU/890FX mobo/GPU - $516
CrossFire capable setup with Atlhon II - CPU/890FX mobo/GPU - $434
Single-card setup - CPU/870 mobo - 255 + GPU costs
Single-card setup with Athlon II - CPU/870 mobo - $173 + GPU costs
November 17, 2010 2:22:27 PM

thanks ill keep that in mind
Related resources
November 17, 2010 2:54:43 PM

Now when i think of it i am not sure again about the graphic cards. I need to point out that this pc wont be used only for gaming but designing in photoshop and after effect cs5 + some maya. However i LOVE to play games, i may not be a hardcore gamer but i do play often.

Now my confusion comes to the grahpic cards.. my choice earlier with the i5 configuration was if i need in future to buy one more gtx 460 and cover the new games.. However if i go for single graphic card and amd build what do you suggest.. is it better to plan on buying another newer model graphic card or actually to buy mobo with crossF and in future to buy one more graphic card?

edit: dose the amd processor supports 1600mhz ram?

thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 3:05:44 PM

If you go with a single graphics card setup, it doesn't matter, you can pick whatever you want. If you use CUDA for CS5, etc. then you are going to want to stick with nVidia. If you don't use CUDA, then again, you can pick whatever you like. Right now, the 1 GB 460 and the 6850 are virtually tied in gaming performance. Pick based on price/warranty if CUDA doesn't matter to you.

What graphics card you pick really depends on your monitor resolution and what your budget is. Typically, I prefer to get the biggest card I can afford at the start of the build. Most people who build an SLI/CrossFire-capable build never actually use it. There's usually a newer, bigger graphics card out by the time that they feel the need to upgrade. In part, it depends on how current you want/need to stay with games, and what is acceptable performance for you.

And yes, 1600 MHz RAM is supported.
November 17, 2010 3:20:50 PM

Thanks for the info! However my question was not exactly this... i am yet not sure what would be the better option to go for

scenario1:
I buy AMD without crossFire support on the mobo and i go with gtx460 and in future i sell the old graphic card and buy newer model.

scenario2:
I buy amd with crossFire support on the mobo and i go with single 6850 and in future i just buy one more 6850.

So what of those two scenarios are better -- buying totally new graphic card or just sticking onre more - considering the money/performance ratio.
thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 3:28:00 PM

masky007 said:
So what of those two scenarios are better -- buying totally new graphic card or just sticking onre more - considering the money/performance ratio.
thanks

Scenario 1 is likely to work for most people, especially since there are going to be new video cards from both nVidia and AMD that are coming out now or in the next few months.

It still depends, of course, as it's hard to predict when any given person will feel the need for an upgrade. However, unless you're a very demanding gamer, and always need to be at the top end of any new gaming, I would go with scenario 1. If you're a demanding gamer, then you have the choice of going with scenario 2, but you could also go with scenario 1 and spend the money saved on a GTX 470 or a 6870 or perhaps one of the upcoming 69xx series.
November 17, 2010 3:41:36 PM

So my final choice should be scenario 1 :

AMD Phenom II X4 955
Gigabyte 870A-UD3(cause the better option probably would be to buy newer graphic card than crossing)
MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC (since it has CUDA , and i wont use crossfire)

So your final conclusion compared to my original i5 build and our new amd build would be? Prons and Cons? - is the AMD Phenom II X4 955 equal agaisnt the i5 760? -this may be a stupid question but.. i wanna hear your opinion (i have read some reviews for the amd however again i want to hear what you have to say)

thank you
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 3:52:58 PM

That's what I would do, if you're looking to save money, and gaming is your primary focus.

On synthetic benchmarks and in standard productivity, the i5 is going to be a little faster than the X4 955.

Just for gaming though, the performance isn't all that different.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/47
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/62 - this shows a difference, but the fps is still above the level of human comprehension.

At any reasonable resolution with a modern (3 or 4 core) CPU, GPU matters a lot more than which CPU you have.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2010 8:54:10 PM

I would go with the i5 build because it is a little faster so the performance will last you that much longer. If you pick a board with SLI capability and buy the best card you can afford now then down the road you will have the option to add a second card or buy a bigger, better new one. That option leaves you choices later and doesn't lock you in with a limiting choice now.
!