Running OS and games on seperate HDD-performance boost?

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hi all,,

So uh, apparently running your OS and games on separate Hard Drives can potentially increase performance (maybe minimal, idk). Either way, it would work fine for me, as I happen to have 2x1TB HDD's, with one with my OS and all my games and applications on there, and then the other with just like, random assorted files (videos, pictures, etc., stuff that I don't use often and can just throw on there to free up space, not like I really need any more space atm).

Anyways, would it even make any difference whatsoever if I moved all my games over to my second Hard Drive? (not uninstalling, but just moving the folders over, I'll be maxing out my bandwith for months re-downloading all those). I always assumed it would make it faster keeping the games on the same Drive as the OS, but maybe I'm wrong? Not sure, just been seeing a couple forums here and there saying likewise.

You may want to forget the idea because there's no way you can just "move" your installed games (or any other installed software) to a different drive and expect them to work. All the related paths and other information in the Windows Registry would then be invalid so those games and apps won't run.

If you want to move games and apps to a different drive, you'll have to uninstall them from their existing location, then install them on the other drive.

Like I said, in view of that, you may want to forget the idea.

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Oh yea, I somehow completely forgot that there's the root directory, and then a whole bunch of sub-directories for games.. -.- Jeez I was just gonna move the root-directory over lol, that would've failed miserably. But for future reference (future games, if I ever decided to re-install Windows, etc.) does it make a difference?

It is not much of a difference. The reason being most os files will already be in ram so most hdd activity is already just game files. Also if you set the second hdd to turn off when idling, then it may take a couple extra seconds for it to spin up when first starting the game. I'd still say to do it if you got a spare hdd though. It's a bit better organization and some argue they have more files on the "fast" part of the hdd.

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Well I guess I could always just move the root directories over too an external, and then uninstall.. So pretty much taking away 99% of the download, mostly file re-validation for games then. But uh, what do you mean by the last part there, more files on the "fast" part of the hdd?

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Not necessarily. If they are steam games you can just move the entire steam directory. I have kept the same steam install through multiple operating systems/reformats, I just paste in the backup of my steam folder, launch steam from the install directory once after a reformat and it will install the last little bit the OS needs for it to run properly. So yeah, if its steam it will be fine.

You may want to forget the idea because there's no way you can just "move" your installed games (or any other installed software) to a different drive and expect them to work. All the related paths and other information in the Windows Registry would then be invalid so those games and apps won't run.

If you want to move games and apps to a different drive, you'll have to uninstall them from their existing location, then install them on the other drive.

Like I said, in view of that, you may want to forget the idea.

Sorry Phil22 but you are wrong, junctions do just that.

Here is information about using junctions. This is the same way Steam mover works but it will work for any game NOT just steam games. I use this and have them bookmarked so I can refer to them all the time.

nadim615 have a read of these links. Use junctions and there will be no problems with having to download even 1Kb of info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262456-32-guide-transfer-steam-games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Ah ok. Thanks :)

screenshot.png

The outside of a hdd is faster, shorter access times and where files are written to first. I know some defraggers will move frequently used files but I can't remember if the default windows one will.

chugot9218

Honorable
Steam developed games (DOTA2, TF2, Halflife, etc...) cannot be moved from your main steam installation, even using junction points, as they use large .cab files local to the main steam install. They will go where your main steam install goes.

as none of those games get a great boost from an SSD I have not tried to move those but this is good to know.