RAID question

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Is it possible to have my SSD running on AHCI
My 2x 500GB WD Black running in RAID 0
and my 2TB seagate barracuda running on AHCI too?

Solution
2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0/SATA3 1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2 2~SATA2 5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices

1 x mSATA connector
* The SATA2 5 connector will become unavailable when the mSATA connector is installed with a solid state drive.

Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected.

It is software RAID - so when you setup the RAID configuration for the 2 500GB drives, and setup single drive arrays for the SSD and 2TB HDD, all should work.

Your SSD & 2TB drives should be connected to the SATA III ports...
It would depend upon the configuration of the motherboard's SATA controllers. Consult your manual to see which connectors should be used for the drives. Some have separate RAID and AHCI/IDE interfaces, some only have one interface for all 3, and depending upon the BIOS setup, you may or may not be able to do it....what is the make/model of the motherboard?

I saw (somewhere - can't find the official intel link at the moment) that by selecting RAID in the BIOS and installing the Intel storage driver you still get AHCI on drives that are not in the RAID.

Here's a forum that discusses it http://www.evga.com/forumsarchive/printable.asp?m=100887601

Edit: Derp. I'm sure this is the way it works since my wife's PC has a single SSD plus a pair of HDDs in RAID1. The Samsung utility reports that AHCI is enabled on the SSD. I think I need more caffeine.

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0/SATA3 1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2 2~SATA2 5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices

1 x mSATA connector
* The SATA2 5 connector will become unavailable when the mSATA connector is installed with a solid state drive.

Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected.

It is software RAID - so when you setup the RAID configuration for the 2 500GB drives, and setup single drive arrays for the SSD and 2TB HDD, all should work.

Your SSD & 2TB drives should be connected to the SATA III ports, the 500GB drives to the SATA II ports (2 additional ports available - 1 would be used by DVD/BluRay I assume).

All drives not configured as a RAID array of more than 1 drive would be considered AHCI - the RAID BIOS setup configuration will allow for this.

Solution