GTX-285 Suddenly Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jraschke11

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hello everyone, my Palit GTX-285 2048 card is suddenly overheating and running hot.

I bought my system in January and it has ran completely trouble free and stable for 9 months. Then suddenly about a week to 10 days ago, my GPU is idling at 55*C-65*C where it used to idle at 45*C-50*C.

Doing nothing at all except turning my computer on and playing World of Warcraft for 10 minutes, my GPU gets up to around 80*C and stays there. I am getting screen tearing and my system is locking up. Display settings are maxed of course, but come on it's WoW it's not exactly Crysis or anything. I used to max out between 60*C-70*C under load.

I have had the same drivers for a while now, NVIDIA 258.96. I dont remember any system updates or anything around the time it happened. I even returned my old card and had a new one sent out. Even right now at idle with nothing but my internet browser open, with my cooling fans on my card running a at full time 100% capacity (downloaded Vtune for Palit cards) I am at 60*C.

I am very perplexed, so I am hoping maybe someone else is experiencing this. I have positive airflow in my case and my graphics card is not crowded. It has ran perfectly for nine months and now is acting up.

Here is my system if it it helps:

Win7 Ultimate x64
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
Core i7-975 stock
12GB Corsair Dominator
Palit GTX-285 2GB video card
NZXT Gamma case. Has top, rear, bottom, and side vents. I have fans in the rear, top, and two on the side. All are running as they have for the last nine months.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jraschke11

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Card is squeaky clean of dust. And as I stated, I swapped out a new card with identical results. I know nvidia had the driver problem where the fans weren't coming on, but that is not the case here. They are coming on, but not powering up. If I run them manually at a constant high speed, it keeps the card cool enough to play now at least.

jraschke11

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I had plenty of open slots on my power supply, so I plugged in two new power cables in to two new slots and plugged it in to my card. The heat seemed to go down, but my display locked up because the driver stopped responding. I just remembered that this happened a while back as well. I deleted the driver once again and reinstalled, and it seems to be working well. I will update if anything else happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.