Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Really noob graphic card questions! :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 25, 2010 12:37:26 AM

Hey everyone i have some questions about Video card temps etc... So I recently was given my good friends gaming desktop as he went away for college a sad day indeed, But hell free computer for me! So here's the specs.


-Antec 900 Case

-AMD Phenom X4 (quad core) 945 3Ghz Processor

-4GB 1600mhz DDR3 Crucial RAM

-500GB 7,200rpm 16mb cache Hard Drive

-Gigabyte MA785GT Motherboard

-ATI HD Radeon 5750 1GB Video Card

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

-600W PSU

-3x 120mm blue LED fans, 1x 120mm non-LED fan, 1x 200mm non-LED fan

So I just don't want to fry it on him for when he comes back during breaks etc.

To give you an idea of things I'm running I'm a big Starcraft II junkie, and with this beast of a computer I'm hoping to run Final Fantasy 14 :) !

So When I am not doing ANYTHING at all the video card temp is at 35C which from what i have been reading is fine?

Since FF14 isn't out yet.. I can't really fun any tests with that BUT on starcraft II with all high settings on with 100+ enemies on the field it's running at 55C

Here is a link to pictures of fans on my PC so you guys can maybe tell me if I have enough or too many.. By the way i know its very dusty in there.. I got a lot of already without actually opening the shell because I am afraid too!!

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc442/shirokuku/MY%...

Any insight from anyone would be really helpful to me! Thanks so much :) 
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 12:43:37 AM

You're perfectly fine, load temps lower than 65C is perfectly normal.
FYI, most cards/CPUs handle 80-90C just fine.

However, FF14 seems like a pretty GPU-taxing game as of now, don't know if patches will fix this, but I doubt a 5750 can handle medium settings.
m
0
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 12:44:01 AM

Dust is your enemy but your temps are fine. Get a can of compressed air open up the side and clean it out very well heat sinks and fans especially. All the fans are fine.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 1:09:13 AM

Timop said:
You're perfectly fine, load temps lower than 65C is perfectly normal.
FYI, most cards/CPUs handle 80-90C just fine.

However, FF14 seems like a pretty GPU-taxing game as of now, don't know if patches will fix this, but I doubt a 5750 can handle medium settings.

Firstly, 80-90c is a tad high for a gpu, BUT, you dont want your cpu to ever run that hot
65 max on a cpu, even less on some, depending
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 1:14:36 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Firstly, 80-90c is a tad high for a gpu, BUT, you dont want your cpu to ever run that hot
65 max on a cpu, even less on some, depending

It is too high for continuous usage, especially for CPUs I agree. But its perfectly normal as a peak temp when stress testing, especially for GPUs.

There are people freaking out when their Fermis/i7s hit 75-85C during stress testing (Prime95/Furmark) thinking it somehow instantaneously fried the chip.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 1:29:33 AM

Thanks guys! Yeah i just took off the front panel and used about an entire can of air spray. So much dust... But it's mostly gone now :D 

Also some of the boards like on the graphic card etc. (things your not supposed to touch?) still have dust on them the air could not get it ALL So i was wondering if it would be alright to maybe lightly pat it with a micro fiber cloth?
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 1:30:31 AM

rolli59 said:
Dust is your enemy but your temps are fine. Get a can of compressed air open up the side and clean it out very well heat sinks and fans especially. All the fans are fine.


what he said

enemy...fine....compressed....clean....fans
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 1:30:54 AM

True, and a gpu hitting 80-90 or even a tad higher isnt anything new, but a cpu doing it in run? NOT good
Ideally, your want the gpu lower, but some are designed for those temps, whereas I havnt seen a cpu running that hot for general usage.
In stress tests , for a short term, sure, but not hours of gaming

Just sayin
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 25, 2010 1:34:45 AM

shirokuku said:
Thanks guys! Yeah i just took off the front panel and used about an entire can of air spray. So much dust... But it's mostly gone now :D 

Also some of the boards like on the graphic card etc. (things your not supposed to touch?) still have dust on them the air could not get it ALL So i was wondering if it would be alright to maybe lightly pat it with a micro fiber cloth?


if you feel comfortable enough with it, I just remove everything with a fan (case fans, video card, CPU fan,etc.,) and use the can on them outside so the dust doesn't get everywhere. If you remove the video card you should be able to get to the mobo with a can of compressed air and its extension hose.
m
0
l
!