Really noob graphic card questions! :(

shirokuku

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hey everyone i have some questions about Video card temps etc... So I recently was given my good friends gaming desktop as he went away for college a sad day indeed, But hell free computer for me! So here's the specs.

-Antec 900 Case

-AMD Phenom X4 (quad core) 945 3Ghz Processor

-4GB 1600mhz DDR3 Crucial RAM

-500GB 7,200rpm 16mb cache Hard Drive

-Gigabyte MA785GT Motherboard

-ATI HD Radeon 5750 1GB Video Card

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

-600W PSU

-3x 120mm blue LED fans, 1x 120mm non-LED fan, 1x 200mm non-LED fan

So I just don't want to fry it on him for when he comes back during breaks etc.

To give you an idea of things I'm running I'm a big Starcraft II junkie, and with this beast of a computer I'm hoping to run Final Fantasy 14 :)!

So When I am not doing ANYTHING at all the video card temp is at 35C which from what i have been reading is fine?

Since FF14 isn't out yet.. I can't really fun any tests with that BUT on starcraft II with all high settings on with 100+ enemies on the field it's running at 55C

Here is a link to pictures of fans on my PC so you guys can maybe tell me if I have enough or too many.. By the way i know its very dusty in there.. I got a lot of already without actually opening the shell because I am afraid too!!

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc442/shirokuku/MY%20PC%20FANS/

Any insight from anyone would be really helpful to me! Thanks so much :)

Timop

Distinguished
You're perfectly fine, load temps lower than 65C is perfectly normal.
FYI, most cards/CPUs handle 80-90C just fine.

However, FF14 seems like a pretty GPU-taxing game as of now, don't know if patches will fix this, but I doubt a 5750 can handle medium settings.

Firstly, 80-90c is a tad high for a gpu, BUT, you dont want your cpu to ever run that hot
65 max on a cpu, even less on some, depending

Timop

Distinguished

It is too high for continuous usage, especially for CPUs I agree. But its perfectly normal as a peak temp when stress testing, especially for GPUs.

There are people freaking out when their Fermis/i7s hit 75-85C during stress testing (Prime95/Furmark) thinking it somehow instantaneously fried the chip.

shirokuku

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks guys! Yeah i just took off the front panel and used about an entire can of air spray. So much dust... But it's mostly gone now :D

Also some of the boards like on the graphic card etc. (things your not supposed to touch?) still have dust on them the air could not get it ALL So i was wondering if it would be alright to maybe lightly pat it with a micro fiber cloth?

True, and a gpu hitting 80-90 or even a tad higher isnt anything new, but a cpu doing it in run? NOT good
Ideally, your want the gpu lower, but some are designed for those temps, whereas I havnt seen a cpu running that hot for general usage.
In stress tests , for a short term, sure, but not hours of gaming

Just sayin