Gigabyte 5870 please help

duder56

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hey guys i have been searching around on various forums and i have received some good advice, but not exactly what i was looking for. apparently my card is either not that popular or just not wide spread yet.

i recently bought my Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 850MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.8GHZ 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card and it runs just fine until i decide to do any sort of clock adjustments. this is fairly disappointing considering i spent 459$ on the stupid thing.

apparently gigabyte doesn't offer any sort of overvoltage or voltage tweaking of any sort. i can't seem to figure out if it is just some sort of bad memory clock or drivers or just a system instability. every other graphics card i have owned at least let me do some minor tweaking, but it seems with this card any screw around sends it off the deep end.

now i do realize that the card itself is a pretty amazing card, and if i were to just keep her at stock there wouldn't be much on the market that i could throw at her to slow it to a crawl. i guess my real concern is to wether or not when i add a second card if there will be any unecessary strain effectively forcing me to underclock or something of the sort. i mean 459$ is a little bit of money to invest into something that may not work that great.

anyway all advice is appreciated considering i am at the end of my rope here and i wish to do crossfire in the near future, but not if one of my cards is potentially damaged or faulty.

thanks.

amirgtr

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
@dipankar2007ind You're not being very helpful.

OP: Try RivaTuner if you haven't yet.

Gigabyte has made a name for themselves for having good quality and reliability, so I wouldn't be too unhappy about it if I were you.

BUT, if you're really set on overclocking your card, one thing you can try is to find a flaw in it and contact the seller and ask for an exchange, and buy a 5870 from another manufacturer.

I have the Sapphire version and it allows for 900Mhz core and 1300Mhz memory OC from the Catalyst. Sapphire's RMA dep is quick to exchange cards when something is wrong, so you can be sure you won't be stuck with a bad card. But as we all know they don't exactly have a reputation for the best build quality...

duder56

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
hey guys thanks for the quick replies i appreciate that. yes i have given afterburner a try, but i had been told on a previous forum that CCC and afterburner sometimes have conflicts and create artifacts which is what i am sometime receiving with as much as 5Mhz overclock. i believe i had briefly given rivia tuner a try but with no real results. so i guess i will still try getting rid of afterburner and give rivia another chance.

thanks alot guys

duder56

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
thank you, i know it is still very fast stock i just maybe wanted some info on whether or not it is just a software issue or i have memory and a gpu that can not be pushed any further. so i guess i was wondering if anyone else had this card and these issues.

on a side note, i still do wish to do crossfire with some worries as to if this card will need to be down clocked because of lack of overclock ability. i have never tried crossfire so i am a little uncertain as to how to go about it. but my real question is do i have to use identical cards, or could i use say a 5970 or one of the 6000 series soon to be released?

duder56

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
ya i was doing some reading and that seems to be the consensus is that i would have to bring the 5970 up to the 5870 clock speeds if i were to go that route. but i was a little concerned if my PSU is up to the task. i have a Corsair Professional HX850W 850W ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply, and i have my doubts considering the 5870 is like 300w and the 5970 can pull as much as 500w? not too sure. also there seems to be a lack of software support and maybe too many conflicts with micro stutter? sorry this is just all too much information for me to take in at the moment especially when i am pretty fresh at this.

TRENDING THREADS