Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OC'd my memory- did I fry my motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 16, 2011 5:45:19 AM

So, I was fiddling with my memory settings the other day, and I came across an overclocking profile in my BIOS that was about ten percent higher than the rating for my motherboard, but I tried it and got a fault telling me my BIOS didn't support that mode. I reset back to my previous setting, but I soon started getting the BSOD- unfortunately with various different errors. The errors I recall getting were:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Driver issues, usually. I did everything I could think of to fix drivers- driver sweep, etc.)

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (Shudder.)

In addition, I ran memtest86 and found errors in one of my memory sticks. After I took it out, I couldn't get my BIOS to see any memory in either of my A-channels (memory which worked in the B and C-channels).

I've heard a lot of my errors attributed to power supply, but I've been running this exact setup for close to four months with no problems, and the errors didn't start until the overclocking incident, which leads me to believe I fried something. Hardware is:

-ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
-Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply
-2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives
-Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (boot drive)
-2x EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Cards

Would like a second opinion before dropping $150 on a new board. If I forgot anything you'd like to know, just say the word. Thanks!

More about : memory fry motherboard

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 128 } Memory
October 16, 2011 11:52:55 AM

Boards are pretty tough. Unless you damaged a ram slot, chances are one or more of the sticks is bad. Also, if you don't see any physical damage to the board, you can probably request an rma with asus. Asus boards can be picky about ram, so if you decide to buy another board, I would try a different brand, especially if you don't overclock. I have used biostar, msi, and foxconn recently. Foxconn is surprisingly good about tech support if you follow their procedures. I got a tech to send me a newer bios file. Also, there was a guy selling some x58 boards new in anandtech's for sale forum for only $100; don't know if he has any left.
m
0
l
October 16, 2011 4:39:12 PM

I imagine there's a good chance that more of my ram is bad than just the one stick I found, but what really worries me is the fact that there are two slots that just won't see any memory I put in them. Thanks!
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 221 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
October 16, 2011 5:18:27 PM

obijonkenobi said:

In addition, I ran memtest86 and found errors in one of my memory sticks. After I took it out, I couldn't get my BIOS to see any memory in either of my A-channels (memory which worked in the B and C-channels).


Open ya MoBo manual and check to see where Asus instructs you to put in the memory . One thing I am finding confusing is "either of my A channels" and "memory which worked in the B and C-channels"

Either / or implies 2 modules. I would epect you to have 3. These should be in A1, B1 and C1 as pictured on page 2-12 of ya manual. These are the 2nd, 4th and 6th from left to right from the CPU.

Quote:
but what really worries me is the fact that there are two slots that just won't see any memory I put in them.


Note the system will not boot with one module in A2, B2 or C2. RTFM :) 
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 3:10:57 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Open ya MoBo manual and check to see where Asus instructs you to put in the memory . One thing I am finding confusing is "either of my A channels" and "memory which worked in the B and C-channels"

Either / or implies 2 modules. I would epect you to have 3. These should be in A1, B1 and C1 as pictured on page 2-12 of ya manual. These are the 2nd, 4th and 6th from left to right from the CPU.

Quote:
but what really worries me is the fact that there are two slots that just won't see any memory I put in them.


Note the system will not boot with one module in A2, B2 or C2. RTFM :) 



As a matter of fact, I did "RTFM", probably much more thoroughly than you. I've built numerous systems from scratch before. How can I be more clear about "It works in my B and C channels, but not my A channels"? I tried every possible valid configuration, including A1 + B1 (which was the first thing I tried).
m
0
l
!