UT2K4 questions - LAN

It's been about ten years since I played networked Doom (my most
recent pier-to-pier game experience) and now I have the hunger for
some LAN voilence. UT2K4 looks pretty good but I have a few questions.

I have a Toshiba Centrino laptop that's a few months old. I don't
recall the specs, but I believe they're average. Should I bother even
trying to put UT2K4 on that? What are the minimum laptop requirements
if any?

What's the minimum video card I need for the workstation PC?

Do I need to buy two copies of this game?

Is UT2K4 better with a joystick or some other game controller or will
the keyboard suffice?

I'm interested in LAN play between a workstation and laptop (or
another workstation if the laptop won't cut it). What modes(?) are
available for person-to-person violence? Can I disable the monsters
and play only the other person?

Do cheats work in person-to-person mode? If so can I disable them?

Thank your for your advice.

~ L
13 answers Last reply
More about ut2k4 questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On 24 Nov 2004 10:50:11 -0800, lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com (Lauren
    The Ravishing) wrote:

    >I have a Toshiba Centrino laptop that's a few months old. I don't
    >recall the specs, but I believe they're average. Should I bother even
    >trying to put UT2K4 on that? What are the minimum laptop requirements
    >if any?

    Try the demo for yourself.

    >Do I need to buy two copies of this game?

    Yes.

    >Is UT2K4 better with a joystick or some other game controller or will
    >the keyboard suffice?

    Keyboard and mouse.

    >I'm interested in LAN play between a workstation and laptop (or
    >another workstation if the laptop won't cut it). What modes(?) are
    >available for person-to-person violence? Can I disable the monsters
    >and play only the other person?

    Deathmatch, Onslaught, CTF, DOM, Assault, Invasion. It is a
    multiplayer game, there aren't monsters apart from in Invasion mode.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:55:54 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >>Do I need to buy two copies of this game?
    >
    >Yes.

    No.

    --

    Julian Richards
    usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
    with people that you would never want in your house.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Lauren The Ravishing" <lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Doom (my most
    > recent pier-to-pier game experience)

    Am I the only one who finds this amusing?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:32:16 -0800, goPostal wrote:

    >> Doom (my most recent pier-to-pier game experience)

    > Am I the only one who finds this amusing?

    Yes.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Apparently so.

    "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:32:16 -0800, goPostal wrote:
    >
    >>> Doom (my most recent pier-to-pier game experience)
    >
    >> Am I the only one who finds this amusing?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > --
    > If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
    > Linux Registered User #327951

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "its me" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Apparently so.
    >
    > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in message

    >>> Am I the only one who finds this amusing?
    >>
    >> Yes.

    Not even a chuckle? Geez, you guys are a hard audience.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

    > "its me" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Apparently so.
    > >
    > > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in message

    > >> Yes.
    > >>

    > Not even a chuckle? Geez, you guys are a hard audience.

    Well, the way I see it, if the guy wants to build piers between himself and
    the people he palys with, that is his perogative. Wonder what sort of pings
    he gets though?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:57:38 GMT, "Mango" <mango@verizon.net> wrote:

    >"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "its me" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Apparently so.
    >> >
    >> > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in message

    >> Not even a chuckle? Geez, you guys are a hard audience.
    >
    >Well, the way I see it, if the guy wants to build piers between himself and
    >the people he palys with,
    ^^^^^

    Heh. It never fails.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:57:38 GMT, "Mango" <mango@verizon.net> wrote:

    >>"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "its me" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> Not even a chuckle? Geez, you guys are a hard audience.
    >>
    >>Well, the way I see it, if the guy wants to build piers between himself
    >>and
    >>the people he palys with,
    > ^^^^^
    >
    > Heh. It never fails.

    Waht nver falis?

    And also this text:

    The paomnnehil pweor of the hmuan mnid.

    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
    deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
    the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer
    is at the rghit pclae.

    The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it
    wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
    raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

    Fcuknig amzanig huh?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:23:56 +0100, "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk>
    wrote:

    >Fcuknig amzanig huh?

    :P
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:23:56 +0100, "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Fcuknig amzanig huh?
    >>

    > :P

    I am not quite so knowing about these "smileys"

    What does :P mean?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:37:38 +0100, HaglStorm_DK wrote:

    > "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:23:56 +0100, "HaglStorm_DK" <olebech@e-mail.dk>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Fcuknig amzanig huh?
    >>>

    >> :P
    >>

    > I am not quite so knowing about these "smileys"
    >
    > What does :P mean?

    It is someone sticking their tongue out, in a cheeky fashion.

    Substitute the colon ':' with a semi-colon ';' for enhanced 'cheeky-factor'.

    ;P

    Regards,

    Pete.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Pete" <pete@lotech.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:37:38 +0100, HaglStorm_DK wrote:
    >
    > I am not quite so knowing about these "smileys"
    > >
    > > What does :P mean?
    >
    > It is someone sticking their tongue out, in a cheeky fashion.
    >
    > Substitute the colon ':' with a semi-colon ';' for enhanced
    'cheeky-factor'.

    > ;P
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Pete.

    There is probably a news group for smileys... out there somewhere....
    j-D (= left eye bigger and closed huge smile smiley)

    PyroFoam
    or GyroForm
    or something like it....

Laptops LAN Video Games