Sanity check on a build I'm specing out.

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I'm in the process of specing out a new box. This will be a 3-monitor, no overclocking rig, and I'm trying to go for quieter parts where reasonable. I'd like to check in with y'all, to see if there's any obvious problems with what I've come up with so far:

CPU: i7-950 1366
MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E no strong reason here, just saw it come up a number of times, sounds groovy enough to me
VIDEO: HD6870 of some sort, haven't pinned it down. I'll try to run 3 monitors off it, but no stretch gaming (1 monitor is larger res)
RAM: Haven't pinned this down yet. Recommendations/insight welcome.
CPU HEATSINC: Prolimatech Megahalems friends are already making fun of me for this, as I won't be OC. But, my box is on 24/7/365, and my place gets pretty damned hot in the summer. I want this box to last.
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-750 Saw this recommendation in silentpcreview for a fairly quiet PSU
CASE: SilverStone Fortress FT02B Sounds like the Megahalems will fit
HD(3): Haven't pinned this down, will probably just buy 3 of a particular HD I happen to like.
DVD/ETC: No real pref Will just go buy some non-sucky inexpensive drive/burner. Rarely used component, for me.
DISPLAY: dell u2410 In addition to two existing older dell 1600x1200 monitors I have

-----------------------------------------------

So! Anything avowedly bad jumping out at you? Anything like "whoa there pal, you don't need a 750watt PSU for that rig, get the 650w version instead" or "that video card isn't gonna X right with that Y" or "your friends are right, you don't freaking need that heatsink if you aren't gonna OC, just go stock fan/heatsink, you knucklehead" ?

Any and all insight welcome, thanks!

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for the response, malmental - my goal is to hit Newegg Friday evening, and I was beginning to get worried at the lack of responses to my post :p

Thanks for the advice on the memory front: I'll next try to pin down what I should do there. I admit I am a little mystified at the optons (1600/1333/1066). Outside of defaulting to "BIGGAR NUMBAR IS TEH BATTAR," I'll have to do my homework there.

Oddly enough, I'm actually avoiding SSD on this box. Tempting, of course, but I am a total tinfoil hat guy, and I don't yet trust SSD. STOP LAUGHING, DAMNIT! :p

On the GPU front, I have this longstanding inclination to stick with ATI, as a kind of general preference. What issues might I run into, do you think? And are there any more general pitfalls of "that card + that board will bottle neck at X" that come to mind?

As for how much, I am very carefully avoiding doing that math, as I'm pretty sure I don't want to know the sum :p