Z68X-UD3H-B3 Vcore going way above set value

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I've been trying to overclock my desktop with a Z68-UD3H-B3 in it (and a core i7-2600K), but it is COMPLETELY ignoring the Vcore value I set for the CPU.

I set it to 1.275, and it just goes right ahead and overvolts to 1.36 :eek: , and then the temps skyrocket on the stock cooler. I plan to get a new cooler, but for now while I decide what kind of cooler to get due to the crappy airflow in my case (Armor+, gotta hate TT crap) , I'm stuck with a stock cooler.

Is there any way to tell this mainboard to stop overvolting the CPU so flipping far, or am I stuck with a board programmed to murder processors?

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Never mind that, now it's not even retaining overclocks, thinking that there are "boot errors", and it boots as slow as heck. I think I'm going to return the thing, get my money back, and buy a halfway decent MSI motherboard instead.

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Computers these days... They make you think they're pieces of junk, then quit acting up on you right after you post to the forum.

Well, I'm still trying to get that Vcore to stay at what I set it to, and I'm also having another mild issue: Every time I reboot the computer, the BIOS resets the CPU multiplier to 34, regardless of the stability of the system. All other OC settings (even Turbo Boost frequencies) stay as they are. Why is the multiplier getting reset?

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm using F8 BIOS.

I'm starting to think that it's not the motherboard making the voltages go up and down, but rather it's the way I'm looking at the voltages.

In CPUID Hardware Monitor, it's saying the CPU Vcore voltage is at 1.06V at load 4.5GHz, and the CPU voltage is at 1.33V. Which one of those should I be looking at? What is that "CPU" voltage (not vcore)?