LangLock

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I've an old system from 3 years ago and I decided I would upgrade my graphics card to the ATI 5570 1GB version. I learned that my power supply was not enough to handle my system with the ATI 5570 card. I need help with selecting a power supply that would handle the current specs of my system. I have no intention of upgrading this one as I would rather buy a new pc. That would take a while so I would rather this worked till then.

The specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium D 945 3.4Ghz
Intel DG965RY motherboard
500GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD
LG DVD+/-RW 16x
1.5 GB DDR2 RAM

The current power supply I have is a Zebronics one with 400W rating. And after a bit of research I found that it depended on the Amps on the 12v rail. My current SMPS has a rating of 17 amps on the 12v rail.

After a little bit of searching, I came across dual rail power supplies. I do have a question here, do both the rails supply power seperately. If so, Can I install the Coolermaster eXtreme Power Supply 460W? Will it handle the load of my system. Or do I need to find a power supply that supplies 24A on a single 12v rail according to msi's graphic card requirement page.

Source:http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=104805.0;wap2

Any suggestions are welcome.

PS: The ATI 5570 is a passively cooled one.

LangLock

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys i chose to go with the corsair 450vx.

Also I already have the graphics card installed on the older SMPS and the clock speed seems to be switching a lot. The model is an ASUS EAH5570 silent with 1G DDR2 memory. When I'm playing sometimes the frame rate seems to drop from 50fps to about 20fps. Also the games are being run at 1024x768 resolution so its not really taxing the card. A restart is required to restore the fps back to its full speed. I thought this was a heating issue but GPU-Z reports the temperature at 45-50 degrees. As I was checking this the clock speed seemed to have dipped from 650 Mhz to 157 Mhz. I checked this out a couple of times and the fps decreased each time the clock speed dropped. The video playback also becomes choppy when this happens.

Could this be because the card is receiving lesser power than required?