Is this the right time to upgrade my pc ?

koolman007

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
hi guys,
currently i have a two year old system which has served me well, even now it is able to play all the latest games on high

settings.
Recently i been thinking of upgrading my pc to current specs but not sure whether it is the right time to do so. I have two

choices either wait for the newer technology to come out or go ahead and upgrade.
My current pc specs are:

Case: Coolermaster Elite 330
PSU: Corsair 650TX Series
CPU: Intel E8400 @ 3.6ghz
RAM: 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800mhz
MOBO: BFG 680i SLI
VGA: Ati 4870x2 2GB
HDD 500GB SATA 7200rpm

Now i dont mind keeping some parts and use it in my new upgrade but the main thing i am looking for as a serious gamer is a

performance gain of atleast 50% .
I am willing to spend around £300 which can go up to 500 if i sell some of my current parts.
Please leave your suggestions regarding what route should i go and what components will be the best bang for the buck.

Cheers

^ This is not a good time to update your PC IMO...
Q1 2011 would be a very good time for that -
1. Intel newer CPUs which will spice up the CPU market.
2. Newer cards from both ATI and Nvidia will be available by then....

koolman007

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
how about if i go with a quad core like Q6600 for now and wait for another 4-5 months for the prices to come down..will i get a performance boost of any sort as more games are starting to take advantage of quad architecture.
cheers for the replies

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
The main question is are you experiencing any need for an upgrade? Like can all of your games run fine, if so then I would say wait until you actually "need" to upgrade.I personally wouldn't upgrade on the 775 platform. Just hold off until the new architecture is released and see where to go from there.

koolman007

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

that was the main reason for the whole topic...to find out if i should or should not. current games run fine all i wanted to know if the current gen hardware will give me performance boost within my allocated budget.
So far i have concluded that i should wait for the newer architecture to come out and then make a decision.
thx all for your replies :)

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
What I would do bro is, wait till Q1 2011 like these gentlemen suggested above, and since you have a 500 GB hard drive, probably buy another 500 GB or 1 TB when you do get one :)

Although, if that drive is 5400 RPM.. I'd really recommend getting rid of it and getting a 7200 RPM drive

Definitely keep the PSU, 650W is enough for most builds, and that PSU is great, but you definitely wanna upgrade to DDR3 RAM when you do choose to upgrade

Id assume since you'll be keepin some of your parts, you'd wanna sell the others, that'll save you some cash for your new build