Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Did I do something wrong?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 25, 2010 9:12:31 AM

OK just got my sapphire hd5830 from newegg...
I uninstalled the drivers for my hd4850 also sapphire.
Took out old 4850, put in new 5830,
Powered up, got the "All is well" beep from mobo,
But NO display, fan on the card spins up, but no display
Am using the supplied DVI to VGA adapter tried both DVI ports

Did I forget something or is the card DOA??

Gigabyte ma790x mobo
AMD Phenom II x3 720be
OCZ Platinum 2x2G 1066DDR2
Rosewill 80+ Green 700w PSU

If card is DOA will newegg take it back and replace it with a better card, like a 5850(might as well go for broke)? I would just pay the difference in price.

Any suggestions? Thanx in advance. :hello: 

More about : wrong

September 25, 2010 9:24:06 AM

Have you hooked up both PCIE power connectors?
September 25, 2010 9:26:05 AM

jyjjy said:
Have you hooked up both PCIE power connectors?



Yep thanx for the lightning fast response. Both are hooked up
Related resources
September 25, 2010 9:31:23 AM

If the HD4850 still works if you put it back in then I guess it is a bad card. It could theoretically be the power supply but it is unlikely as the HD5830 doesn't use all that much more power than the HD4850(an extra 10w or so.)
September 25, 2010 9:33:03 AM

jyjjy said:
If the HD4850 still works if you put it back in then I guess it is a bad card. It could theoretically be the power supply but it is unlikely as the HD5830 doesn't use all that much more power than the HD4850(an extra 10w or so.)


So must be DOA... :cry: 
4850 already back in . Ya think newegg will go for a trade-in?
Would buying an HDMI cable and trying that be worth the fuss??
Maybe the DVI outputs are bad...just a thought.

Best solution

September 25, 2010 9:59:29 AM
Share

I wouldn't bother. Honestly the HD5830 isn't a great card it's not much more powerful than the HD5770 and actually uses more power than the HD5850. In that price range the GTX 460 is a much better choice IMO. For ATI I would probably stick with HD5770 or spend enough to grab an HD5850. This is a very nice deal(crazy $50 rebate);
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Good brand, nice cooler and it's also one of only a few HD5850s that will let you raise the voltage on the core. When you do so you can often get speeds of up to 1000mhz which is a huge overclock.
September 25, 2010 4:49:07 PM

^+1 good advice the 5850 or a GTX 460 1GB are better choices.
September 25, 2010 5:42:32 PM

jyjjy said:
I wouldn't bother. Honestly the HD5830 isn't a great card it's not much more powerful than the HD5770 and actually uses more power than the HD5850. In that price range the GTX 460 is a much better choice IMO. For ATI I would probably stick with HD5770 or spend enough to grab an HD5850. This is a very nice deal(crazy $50 rebate);
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Good brand, nice cooler and it's also one of only a few HD5850s that will let you raise the voltage on the core. When you do so you can often get speeds of up to 1000mhz which is a huge overclock.


Wow! :ouch:  Nice find! MSI's Twin Frozr is a great setup too. And @ $209 for an HD5850 is fantastic, especially the voltage tweakable MSI Twin Frozr. MSI's rebates usually indicate an future/upcoming price reduction in my experience. I've purchased 3 MSI video cards in the last couple years, all during large rebate offerings. They almost always had a permanent price reduction within 1-2 months afterward. :)  So this is a good sign of things to come.
September 25, 2010 9:09:21 PM

jyjjy said:
I wouldn't bother. Honestly the HD5830 isn't a great card it's not much more powerful than the HD5770 and actually uses more power than the HD5850. In that price range the GTX 460 is a much better choice IMO. For ATI I would probably stick with HD5770 or spend enough to grab an HD5850. This is a very nice deal(crazy $50 rebate);
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Good brand, nice cooler and it's also one of only a few HD5850s that will let you raise the voltage on the core. When you do so you can often get speeds of up to 1000mhz which is a huge overclock.



DAMN I even looked at this card and didn't notice the rebate!....I am gonna try to talk newegg into a trade-in!!
Thanx a million man! :bounce: 
September 25, 2010 9:13:40 PM

jerreece said:
Wow! :ouch:  Nice find! MSI's Twin Frozr is a great setup too. And @ $209 for an HD5850 is fantastic, especially the voltage tweakable MSI Twin Frozr. MSI's rebates usually indicate an future/upcoming price reduction in my experience. I've purchased 3 MSI video cards in the last couple years, all during large rebate offerings. They almost always had a permanent price reduction within 1-2 months afterward. :)  So this is a good sign of things to come.



So I should just get a refund and wait a month or two...I have the time as I am happy with my hd4850..it plays all the games i care for
I was just wanting to get an upgrade 1 pc at a time, you know, gpu here mobo there, cpu over yonder...Good future thinking, Best answer so far!!
That's why I love these forums..you get all kinds of feedback, negative and positive!!

OOPS and i got the cash to spring for a 5850...or should I wait?
September 25, 2010 9:30:02 PM

The HD6000 series will be out in the next 2 months so waiting isn't a terrible idea but I dunno if waiting is going to find you a much better deal than that HD5850
September 25, 2010 9:33:25 PM

jyjjy said:
The HD6000 series will be out in the next 2 months so waiting isn't a terrible idea but I dunno if waiting is going to find you a much better deal than that HD5850



Well that all depends on if newegg let's me return and get a 5850 to replace the 5830, paying the extra cost and shipping of course.
IF they will do it I'm goin for it...even though the newegg reviews are sketchy. :sol: 
September 25, 2010 9:33:55 PM

The MSI cards I've gotten rebates on, basically ended up being the same deal as the price reduction later on. I think MSI basically "lowers" their price via rebate early, because nVidia must have MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) restrictions on card makers. This is pretty common for most manufacturers. :) 

Keep in mind however, MSI does take a long time to return rebates in my experience (like 2 months). :)  But with a $50 MIR, I can't imagine then dropping prices more than $50 in the near future. That's a huge cut.
September 25, 2010 9:38:57 PM

So all in all it's best to try and cut a deal with newegg for the MSI 5850?
September 25, 2010 10:09:39 PM

budsatawny said:
even though the newegg reviews are sketchy. :sol: 

A good chunk of the bad reviews on there are because of issues with past versions of the overclocking software. It isn't a problem at this point. It's a good brand and card.
September 25, 2010 10:10:22 PM

jerreece said:
Keep in mind however, MSI does take a long time to return rebates in my experience (like 2 months). :) 
2 months is actually pretty good for a mail in rebate.
September 26, 2010 1:00:56 AM

jyjjy said:
A good chunk of the bad reviews on there are because of issues with past versions of the overclocking software. It isn't a problem at this point. It's a good brand and card.



Well YOU just earned yourself a BEST ANSWER my friend :bounce: 
September 26, 2010 1:01:46 AM

Best answer selected by budsatawny.
September 26, 2010 1:04:04 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!