No signal on monitor when hooked up to Radeon HD 5750

derekch

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I've had a series of issues getting a recently purchased HP P6510Y (with Windows 7 64-bit) to work with a Radeon HD 5750 graphics card. I bought a new power supply to compensate for the upgraded video card, but the power supply appeared to be a dud (I was getting power to the motherboard, but the computer would not turn on). The computer worked fine with the original power supply, but not with the new one.

I returned that one and got a different one from a friend that he had been using for about a month, so it definitely works. However, we ran into the same problem.

To attempt to remedy this with minimal headaches, I have the original power supply powering everything but the video card, with the video card using the new power supply (Coolmax CL-700B, which should be more than enough to power the video card). The video card is getting power and the fan on it works fine.

When I hook the monitor (HP 2010i) up to the integrated VGA port it works fine. When I hook it up to the video card's VGA port, it just says "No signal" and the monitor goes to sleep.

I've tried to uninstall the old drivers and install the new drivers (though the ATI Catalyst doesn't appear to be any different). The ATI Catalyst still only recognizes the RS880 display option, which is the integrated video card. I have tried unsuccessfully to have the computer recognize that new hardware is installed. I confirmed that the video card is installed properly.

Short of installing this video card on another PC to check if it works that way, which is not really possible at this point, I don't know what else to try. I think I've given all the relevant information, though if there's anything else I can I'm open to any suggestions. I'm going kind of nuts with this problem and I have a copy of the Final Fantasy XIV Collector's Edition on the shelf next to me taunting me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

derekch

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I just checked the BIOS per your suggestion and oddly enough it's already set to the PCIE slot as the default.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is that the ATI Catalyst seems to be running into issues. I uninstalled it and tried reinstalling (I've downloaded it a few different times now) and during the install it just stops making progress at random spots and I have to end the task through the task manager to make it go away. Not sure if this is related because the problem of getting no signal was present before this issue, but I think it's worth mentioning just in case.

gelid

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Are you sure the actual card isn't foulty? I had the same problem with my HD5750 where the screen didnt get any signal. I tried it in two other pc's and it did the same thing. i've had to replace the card

derekch

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I just tried the card in another PC and it ran into the same problem so I'm guessing it's the card. My only concern is the power supply issue. Is it possible that the issue is that I have it plugged in through a separate power supply rather than through the power supply that everything else is connected to?

At this point it's narrowed down to the video card being bad in general or the video card not being capable of being powered from a separate power supply for some reason. I'm honestly not that knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff so I really don't know if that second option is even a possibility.

Any other suggestions? If not, I'll contact Newegg on Monday to get this card exchanged.