Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2010 2:12:59 AM

Im building a new computer that will be used for surfing the web (Youtube, facebook) a little video editing with sony vegas pro 9. Watching movies, and listening to music, then school work. Im on a budget and was looking to spend no more than 225 for the cpu and motherboard combined. I want a quad core and wasnt planning on crossfireing gpu's atm so dont need a motherboard with 2pcie slots unless someone could fit it into the price range. Please give me feedback on these or suggest other options.... THANKS

1.AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX925WFGIBOX
show details

2. MSI 880GM-E43 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
show details
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
With that combo buy another heatsink and over clock that cpu... i was just unsure about that mob.

1.ASRock 890GM PRO3 AM3 AMD 890GX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and
2. AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus 3.1GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would go with the second option i found since the mob is nicer but that processor dosent have L3 cache and im not sure really how much L3 cache effects things. Ill also be buying a graphics card a few months after i build the rest of it to help run sony vegas.

More about : 225 motherboard cpu

a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2010 2:31:13 AM

I would go with the first combo, because the CPU is better (the L3 cache will be helpful for the video editing), and the two mobos arent that much different. The ASrock has a few more bells and whistles but they are both decent boards.

Also, do get that video card soon, it will really help with your video editing.

-M
m
l

Best solution

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2010 2:31:50 AM

You should get better performance in most single threaded apps with the Propus, and I prefer ASRock over MSI, so that would be my vote for #2.
Related resources
November 18, 2010 10:32:10 AM

Thanks, now does anyone want to break the tie? :p  My real question is with the motherboards... if i went with the phenom combo would that motherboard be fine or would it bring things down... or am i better off to go with a nicer motherboard and not as nice of a cpu?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2010 12:00:15 PM

Vegas and Video editing for the most part loves both cores and L3 so i'd hit that 925Deneb if i was u ^^ W/e lacking in clocks u can OC later Premiere Pro u could leverage on GPU/Mercury Playback Engine but Vegas is a CPU/RAM bound app ^^

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2010 12:14:10 PM

tcfraz said:
Thanks, now does anyone want to break the tie? :p  My real question is with the motherboards... if i went with the phenom combo would that motherboard be fine or would it bring things down... or am i better off to go with a nicer motherboard and not as nice of a cpu?

Go with the MSI and Phenom Combo, you will save you some cash, that you can put away for save up for a good video card. Unless you are a serious gamer the cheaper MOBO should do you just fine.
m
l
November 18, 2010 8:59:01 PM

Ya im fine with buying them separately the second one isnt a combo... thanks for the build ideas but most have only 2 slots for ram and id like to have 4 so i could buy more memory when i got more money. Then the other is just out of my price range and i cant really go up at all.
m
l
November 18, 2010 9:28:31 PM

I only need the motherboard and a processor, I want the processor to be a quad, and the motherboard to have 4 memory slots(ddr3) with an on-board gpu. So i dont need all the other stuff those combos come with...
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:08:04 PM

Thanks for another good option :p  whats the difference between the Black Edition Phenoms and the Deneb Phenoms?
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 1:09:39 AM

Well both Phenoms are denebs, so long as it is Phenom II X4 AM3. Umm the difference is the BE versions have unlocked multi so the overclocking is easier since you don't have to worry about memory stability/clocks. So you could get the BE but if you don't see yourself OCing then I think the 925 is good enough. Specially since tiny OC's on the 925 are fine.
m
l
November 19, 2010 7:59:31 PM

some of the x4 processors have l3 cache and some dont. it could be useful and increase performance in certain programs/games.
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 9:26:39 PM

^ Oh and that, umm don't expect much from L3 in gaming though, like 1 of 10 games actually performs better with L3 and even at "better" it isn't THAT much better. Only like 4-5 more frames.
m
l
November 30, 2010 1:24:26 AM

Best answer selected by tcfraz.
m
l
!