Software bugs?

inflameswetrust666

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I just built my first rig about a month ago. Hardware wise I'm good, software wise, not so much, it would appear. First issue I'm having: I'm experiencing a lot of what looks like screen tear/freezing when gaming. In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the screen will freeze and the audio will stop. Then I exited the game with ctrl+alt+delete and went into task manager. Program was not responding, so i closed it. This happens every so often every time I play the game. In Vindictus, the screen would freeze and the audio would loop (like a broken record or skipping CD). Opened up task manager, closed the program. After closing out of either game I got a message telling me that the ATI driver had failed, but repaired the problem and was working.

Second Issue: PC is running REALLY slow. Yesterday I downloaded Vindictus. I played for a while today, then went to check my email. Firefox was crawling at a snail's pace. It would take a good 30 seconds to a minute for the address bar to load what I'd typed. While I tried to load gmail, firefox became unresponsive. I tried some different programs. Everything was barely crawling along. I checked my cpu activity meter. Even when loading a file or program, I wasn't getting any higher than 1% cpu usage (30-38% on my physical memory, which is about average). So, I uninstalled Vindictus, figuring that was the issue, but no go, still slow. I ran CCleaner, a virus scan, and a disk defrag, and again, no go. Then I restored my computer to a few days before I installed vindictus, and ran another virus scan and a disk defrag. It helped ALOT, but its still lagging from time to time, especially if I have more than one program or tab running.

Here are my system specs:
MSI 870A-G54 mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 (stable @ about 3.3ghz w/ OC genie)
ASUS EAH5770 ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics
4GB (2X2GB) G. Skill RipJaw series RAM (@ 1333mhz)
WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD
Apevia 650Watt non-modular PSU
LITE-ON DVD burner
Thermaltake V1 Max Performance CPU cooler
Windows 7 Home Premium

All of my drivers are up to date. I've scoured hundreds of forums and FAQs and found nothing. Any help or insight as to how I can fix this appreciated. This is a last resort, please help. Thanks in advance.

Timendo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Are you using DDR3 RAM? Looking at your mobo's specs it says no DDR2 support.
If you're not getting more than 1% CPU Usage, try running LinX 5 passes, monitor your temperatures, I use Core Temp, and if it fails then you've got an issue with your CPU. I see you're using "OC Genie"? Assuming that's a third party software I'd say if you fail the LinX remove that.