Need help choosing Power supply with my spec

mcmc13

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Hi there
I had a friend built me a computer using following parts:
Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 Mid Tower ATX Case Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5IN No PSU Side Window
Patriot Viper Extreme Performance 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 Memory Kit
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Dual Core Processor LGA775 2.53GHZ 1066FSB 3MB
Gigabyte EP43-DS3L ATX LGA775 P43 FSB 1600 OC 1PCI-E 2PCI DDR2 OC
SATA2 HD Sound GBLAN Motherboard [GA-EP43-DS3L]
EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GTX+ 738MHZ 512MB 2.2GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Car *IR-$31*
LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB SATA
I also had 2 SATA Hard drives and 1 IDE hard drive. I have Win 7 64 bit.
About six months ago, things started to go down the hill for me:
-First my 1 sata hard drive failed. It was old so i thought ok maybe that was the reason
- I installed OS to the second hard drive, then a few weeks later, my motherboard stopped working. Got it RMA. I was sent a replacement. I installed replacement and OS again and it all was working fine.
- Then a few weeks later, blue screen of death. Found out it, it was my RAM. RMAd it and got replacement. Put replacements in and it was all good
- Now, a couple of weeks ago, my current hard drive has stopped working. It says "boot drive not found". In bios my hard drive does not show up. I have warranty for it so I will send it in for RMA.

My friend has suggested it is likely my Power Supply causing things to break because apparently my graphics card needs a lot of power supply. It sayd something like min 24Amps and my PSU is only 18 amps. I dont understand the ampage issue. Both the seller and repair shop said my PSU is fine for the graphics card.
I would like to know what people think is causing the problem for me? Could it be the CPU? I have done some diagnostic tests on it and it seems fine before. I dont know how to test my PSU. I have tested the GPU with Furmark and it seemed fine also.
I have been recommended the following PSU:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
Does the PSU meet my GPU requirements? I dont want the minimum power, but would like to have a solid PSU so I dont have things keep breaking on me. Looking for under $150 to spend if possible.
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

The PSU is fine for your setup! The 24 amp rating is for total +12volt not just a single rail.
Components can be breaking because of own quality issues but if the PSU was not big enough then you would have instability under load especially running Furmark.

mcmc13

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011

Are you talking about my existing power supply or the one I want?
My existing one is:

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

mcmc13

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011

I dont know what that is or how I would use it? So the answer is no...

Is that what recommended or something I need?

Your existing one!
The one you want is a great PSU but total overkill for your system

A surge suppressor is kind of like an extension cord with multiple outlets that provide protection from voltage or current spikes(surges) on your power lines. You plug the surge suppressor into your wall outlet, then your computer, monitor,etc. into the surge suppressor.

It is a highly recommended piece of equipment. :sol:

In the Americas, barely known in Europe.