2010 fail-rate on pre-built computers

kim11731

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Hello, What is the average life span of a laptop vs a desktop computer. I use it a lot, but only to go online to follow the financial market. I had an HP laptop & the motherboard died after 4 years. The DVD recorder worked for 15 minutes. Anybody know of a better, sturdier brand that is not too expensive?

Laptops have a shorter life expectancy due to the tighter spaces and higher heat levels the motherboard is subjected to, and after 4 years most systems are due for replacement or upgrade anyway.

HPs are reasonably sturdy, as are Dell laptops, ASUS ones are nicer but also cost more, if you want higher quality you have to pay a higher price there is no way around it.

I have had a HP motherboard died before 36 months, a Dell same issue give or take a month, both had battery replacements after 2 years. Writing this on a cheap VEGA no problems almost 6 years old still has almost 2hrs of battery life left on the original battery.
I really can not recommend anything you get what you get but I know that getting a 3year warranty on a laptop is worth it, at least it worked for me with both HP and Dell!

TRENDING THREADS