Can I recreate a C: drive RAID1 from a healthy HD previously removed f

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
My C: Drive RAID1 says "Verify" in the Bios start up and I can't boot Windows 7.
Intel Matrix runs the RAID so without starting Windows, I assume the Intel Matrix Manager can't verify or rebuild the RAID.
I recently replaced the HDs in the array with RE4 drives. I replaced a failing Hitachi 1TB, rebuilt the RAID, then replaced a functioning Barracuda 1TB HD in the RAID with an RE4 1TB in hopes of upgrading to a more stable RAID. This second RE4 replacement was reported as "Error occurred" within a week and I have the "Verify"/Windows won't start situation.
I'm grateful for any insight into that situation, but here is my question:
Can I take the Barracuda HD (which was used to build the first RE4 in the array) and get my computer to see it as the C: drive, or use it to rebuild a RAID1 in the C: drive?
Thanks for any help.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Let me see correctly

a_ Hitachi 1TB RAID1 fail --> replace with WD RE4 ==> rebuilt complete
b_ Replace a original RAID1 1TB with another WDRE4 ==> rebuilt completed, but failed within a week
If this is the case:
You have 2x GOOD drives.
The original RAID1 1TB that you took out in b step and 1st replacement of WD RE4

Either of them can boot from your RAID1 but it will show as degrading, if you HDD failed then you lost everything.

Here is I would recommend - connect the second port of your RAID to a hot swap tray like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q1L4BI

Boot your system
Use Disk Part clean your going to be rebuilt HDD - if needed
Insert HDD while your system running

It should rebuild

Most of the RAID rebuilt does not happens due to not HOT PLUG hdd - RAID1, 3, 5,6, 10 more like to rebuild when hot plug HDD.

Feb 27, 2013

Thank you for the analysis. I thought that would work, but I still couldn't get Windows 7 to start with just the one drive.
I finally figured out I needed to change the BIOS so I could use a keyboard in DOS to get to Safe Mode. (Can't imagine why it wasn't enabled). This allowed me to finally start in safe mode, which allowed the RAID1 to rebuild and RAID10 to verify.

HOWEVER, I still can't get Windows 7 started outside of Safe Mode. The start up gets past the start-up screen, makes the sound for the screen to choose the user, but remains blank.

I restarted in Safe Mode, closed it properly, and tried to restart. In the BIOS the RAIDs both looked healthy, but it failed as above.

I restarted to get to Safe Mode. In the BIOS start-up I saw the RAID1 was listed as Verify, so as Safe Mode opened, I tried to get the Intel Matrix Manager open to see which drive was the issue, but it was already into the Volume Verify 0% mode. This takes about 3 hours and I have 2 hours to go.

I have uninstalled the latest Flashplayer update and the latest Goodsync update. Google Earth plug in says it can't be accessed when I try to uninstall it.

After this "verify" I will close and try to restart.

If that doesn't work, I will disconnect the port to the newest RE4 drive and try to start with the "good" RE4.

I appreciate any input. If none of these processes work, I'll be back to opening in Safe Mode, but I have no plan for a next step.

Firewire2, thanks for you thoughts. Any additional input will be appreciated.