Sign in with
Your question

After resetting CMOS, no bios, just black screen

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • CMOS
Last response: in Motherboards
October 16, 2011 7:07:42 PM

i was getting frequent startup blue screens, but was still able to boot and run fine after. I read that resetting CMOS would help this, so i did, but when i turned on my comp fans whirred, my monitor even recognized that the computer was on, but all i got was a black screen. I took out all but 1 memory stick, reseated CPU, and still no dice.

ASROCK A770DE+
4 GB Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
DVD-R Drive
9800 GTX+ 512 mb
500 GB Hitashi HDD

More about : resetting cmos bios black screen

a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2011 7:21:04 PM

Did you move the jumper back after clearing the CMOS? (Note: Some mobos use a jumper, some a re-set button, some jumper pins you short with a screwdriver, etc.) If so you can also try removing the battery for a few minutes and then re-installing.

Once you get back to an operating machine, try running Memtest86+. BSODs can be caused by many things but they are not usually from the BIOS unless it's corrupt or a poorly written BIOS. You could have RAM issues, O/S issues, Vid card issues, etc. If you haven't checked your CPU temps lately under load it would be good to use OCCT or P95 to make sure your CPU is not running hot under load. Fans and heatsinks need to be cleaned periodically.
m
l
October 16, 2011 7:39:30 PM

jumpers are at default, no dice
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2011 8:49:57 PM

bump!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2011 11:22:45 PM

You did have the computer off when you cleared them right? And did you do as beenthere suggested and pull the battery for a few seconds. Make sure you unplug the computer and push the power button first to clear any residual energy, then remove the battery for a few seconds and replace. Does the computer act like it's running, when you turn it on? You know, keyboard lights flickering, mouse lighting up, maybe a hdd indicator flickering. To turn it off do you have to hold the power button down for apprx 5/6 secs before it turns off or does it turn off as soon as you hit the power button for 1 sec? If it's the 1 sec deal then you're either in bios or they won't even load. Hope they didn't get corrupted the first time you reset them. If it's the 5 second deal then the computer is most likely running, you just don't see anything. If that's the case try re-seating the video card or try a temp video card. And make sure you plugged everything back up after taking it apart the first time. Might have missed a power plug of something simple hopefully.
m
l
October 19, 2011 4:19:03 AM

im getting the 1 sec thing, im gonna send it in tomarrow, ive odne the battery thing, and when i turn it on, everything runs even usb stuff, just black screen. Im assuming its in/ b4 bios.
m
l
December 22, 2011 10:57:31 PM

djfizzle said:
im getting the 1 sec thing, im gonna send it in tomarrow, ive odne the battery thing, and when i turn it on, everything runs even usb stuff, just black screen. Im assuming its in/ b4 bios.

Funny thing is, I'm having the exact same issue as you djfizzle as of last night. Im trying everything, lemme know what works for you.

What's more, my issue was originially caused by my horrid tampering with the BIOS(I feel like a proper git over it), changing PCI x-16 to PCI x-1. Rebooted to see a black screen.
Took battery out from motherboard to Clear CMOS. Booted back on, screen worked finally. But now, it boots halfway through the Windows 7 loading screen then restarts.
m
l
!