Sign in with
Your question

If I build this will everything work alright?

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2010 3:24:02 AM

I am planning to build my own custom gaming computer...

After days of research, this is what I've come up with.. Can someone please take the time to read through this list and tell me if all the parts work properly with each other?
(BTW if i were to change my selection of RAM to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OCZ-OBSIDIAN-DDR3-1...#ht_4431wt...

and my selection of a processor to an AMD X6 1055t, what difference would it make to the overall performance of the system and does the motherboard support it?)

Also. Is there anything you would change about this system to make it better without adding more than a few dollars to it?

SYSTEM
============================
CASE
Antec Three Hundred – OnLine Computer - $97.75

POWER SUPPLY
Antec 750W True Power PSU – OnLine Computer - $158.45

PROCESSOR
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition – eBay - $198

GRAPHICS CARD
Sapphire HD5770 1GB – OnLine Computer - $157.84

MOTHERBOARD
Asus M4A87TD-EVO AM3 ATX - $139 – eBay

RAM
OCZ 4GB DDR3 1333MHz - $100.50 – eBay

OPTICAL DRIVE
Samsung SH-B123A Blu-ray/DVD Burner – $73.50 – eBay

HARD DRIVE
Western Digital Green 1.0TB SATA – eBay – $74.99

Thankyou

PS. I live in Australia, and Newegg doesnt deliver here. Also, most American sites, while usually having cheaper prices, charge huge amounts of money for shipping.

More about : build work alright

November 16, 2010 3:46:16 AM

Hello dylan_m, Welcome to THW. :) 

First off, Yes all the parts you have chosen will all work just fine together. That said I cannot get your Ebay link to work for me. And as for the AMD X6 1055t, if you are planning on this being a gaming or general purpose machine you really do not need the 6core, but if you are going to be doing video or photo editing you would want to go with the 6core.

The PSU you have selected is kind of over-kill, you could probably use a nice 500w PSU from Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec and that will do the job nicely.

Have you considered to maybe buy a AMD Phenom II X2 and a motherboard that will allow you to unlock the other 2 cores? You can save some $ that way and you get 2 more cores for FREE.

I hope that helps, good luck with your build. Let us know if your have any other questions or concerns.
m
l
November 16, 2010 4:45:39 AM

thechief73 said:
Hello dylan_m, Welcome to THW. :) 

First off, Yes all the parts you have chosen will all work just fine together. That said I cannot get your Ebay link to work for me. And as for the AMD X6 1055t, if you are planning on this being a gaming or general purpose machine you really do not need the 6core, but if you are going to be doing video or photo editing you would want to go with the 6core.

The PSU you have selected is kind of over-kill, you could probably use a nice 500w PSU from Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec and that will do the job nicely.

Have you considered to maybe buy a AMD Phenom II X2 and a motherboard that will allow you to unlock the other 2 cores? You can save some $ that way and you get 2 more cores for FREE.

I hope that helps, good luck with your build. Let us know if your have any other questions or concerns.

Hey, thanks :) 

First of all sorry about that link, the listing must of ended, but it was for 1600MHz RAM instead of 1333MHz.

With the PSU, I know for these particular specs it's a bit much, but more is better right? The reason I selected the 750 Watt is because I will probably be upgrading this machine in the future, and never want to have to deal with buying another power supply because the current one is too weak.. Is this a good idea, or should I get a cheaper, less powerful one?

As for your third paragraph there about the processor and motherboard.. Could you explain a bit more? I'm not really sure I know what your talking about with unlocking cores etc.

Cheers.
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2010 5:01:13 AM

As for upgrading, parts are using less and less power now, that is pretty unlikely. As for unlocking, SOME NOT ALL phenom ii x2 can be unlocked int 4 cores. What happens is some x4 are rebinned into x3 and x2 with some cores disabled, they could be disabled for a number of reasons. Most seem to work fine when unlocked but others are faulty hence why they were disabled.
m
l
November 16, 2010 5:01:47 AM

Also, this post should be in the New Build section of of the fourms
m
l
November 16, 2010 1:34:55 PM

Hey dylan_m,

Sonic-Boom answered most of your questions you asked me quite well. First if you want to go with 1600MHz RAM that will work for you also. If you want to get the 750w for some extra headroom thats OK but still you will not likely need that power even if you go crossfire. And its a good point that with every new part power requirements are dropping due to better design and smaller chip processs.

As for unlocking it porbably wouldnt be a good route for you as like Sonic-Boom said its not a 100% guarantee it will work. Just go for the sure thing. :) 
m
l
November 16, 2010 7:20:25 PM

thechief73 said:
Hey dylan_m,

Sonic-Boom answered most of your questions you asked me quite well. First if you want to go with 1600MHz RAM that will work for you also. If you want to get the 750w for some extra headroom thats OK but still you will not likely need that power even if you go crossfire. And its a good point that with every new part power requirements are dropping due to better design and smaller chip processs.

As for unlocking it porbably wouldnt be a good route for you as like Sonic-Boom said its not a 100% guarantee it will work. Just go for the sure thing. :) 

Thanks. A few more things though (sorry im probably annoying you now)..

1. Apparently the AMD X4 965 only supports up to 1333MHz RAM, so wouldn't 1600 be useless?

2. If i were to downgrade from the 750 watt, what would you recommend instead of it?

3. With the extra money I would get from a less expensive PSU, is there a similar case to the Antec Three Hundred but with a window in the side you know of?

Thanks heaps for your help :) 
m
l
November 16, 2010 8:07:42 PM

Hey, its no problem, nobody is forcing me to help you :lol:  Im here by choice :) 

1. Yes, seems 1333MHz is the highest supported speed for that CPU and you will probably be best off using that. Otherwise buying faster RAM will most likely run at that speed until you OC it in the motherboard BIOS, which in doing so may also put an OC on your CPU(you'll need someone more familiar with AMD than I am to answer that), and how well that works is dependant on your motherboard (Asus M4A87TD-EVO Memory Standard DDR3 2000(O.C.)//1600/1333/1066) which will run 1600 just fine from what I have read, but like I said best to double check with someone who knows more about AMD parts than I do.

2. Like I said before, any nice 500w PSU from: Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec. In that order. will have plenty of power for your PC. If you want me to recommend one I would say the SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W.

3. First, if you are into gaming alot I would suggest maybe getting a 5830 with the extra $ saved and unless you know you need a 1TB hard drive you may be able to save a bit there too, but that is a choice you'll have to make (I have gotten close to using a 160GB hard drive, but never filled it up). As for a case its really hard to say since there seems to be a big difference between AU an US prices, I'll look around and see what I can find and I'll post it up here.

Here are a few I found you may want to take a look at, keep in mind I did not make sure the had all the same the features of the Antec 300.

Antec Nine Hundred
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K56W Black
Sunbeam Freezing-Storm IC-FS-BK
COOLER MASTER Elite 430
SILVERSTONE Kublai Series KL02-BW
m
l
November 17, 2010 4:22:13 AM

dylan_m said:
I am planning to build my own custom gaming computer...

After days of research, this is what I've come up with.. Can someone please take the time to read through this list and tell me if all the parts work properly with each other?
(BTW if i were to change my selection of RAM to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OCZ-OBSIDIAN-DDR3-1...#ht_4431wt...

and my selection of a processor to an AMD X6 1055t, what difference would it make to the overall performance of the system and does the motherboard support it?)

Also. Is there anything you would change about this system to make it better without adding more than a few dollars to it?

SYSTEM
============================
CASE
Antec Three Hundred – OnLine Computer - $97.75

POWER SUPPLY
Antec 750W True Power PSU – OnLine Computer - $158.45

PROCESSOR
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition – eBay - $198

GRAPHICS CARD
Sapphire HD5770 1GB – OnLine Computer - $157.84

MOTHERBOARD
Asus M4A87TD-EVO AM3 ATX - $139 – eBay

RAM
OCZ 4GB DDR3 1333MHz - $100.50 – eBay

OPTICAL DRIVE
Samsung SH-B123A Blu-ray/DVD Burner – $73.50 – eBay

HARD DRIVE
Western Digital Green 1.0TB SATA – eBay – $74.99

Thankyou

PS. I live in Australia, and Newegg doesnt deliver here. Also, most American sites, while usually having cheaper prices, charge huge amounts of money for shipping.

That is a really nice build.
If this is your first time designing a system you did awesome.
Maybe shave some money off the PSU and put it into the video card.
But really it is a nice build the way it is.

m
l
November 17, 2010 4:41:57 AM

Thanks for the replies :) 

I was looking at the Antec Neo Eco 520C (by the way if anyone knows what the "C" after the model number means, please share) and it looks like I can get it off eBay for about $100, leaving me about an extra 60 bucks for a new, better choice of graphics cards. Also, if in the future I decide I want to use crossfire, will my motherboard and psu support that?

@thechief73, Two things - The 5830 costs almost $100 more, so thats not really a possibility.. And actually, the current change in the Australian-American exchange rates have made AUD pretty much equal to USD, which is awesome :) 

So any comments on my new PSU choice or recommendations for a new graphics card?

Thanks again.

m
l
November 17, 2010 5:02:13 AM

dylan_m said:
@thechief73, Two things - The 5830 costs almost $100 more, so thats not really a possibility.. And actually, the current change in the Australian-American exchange rates have made AUD pretty much equal to USD, which is awesome :) 
Our currency may have the same value, but your prices for electronics are sky high, a 5770 here is ~$140usd and the 5830 is ~$165usd, and thats without the discounts and rebates that go along with them just for comparison sake otherwise it would be $125 and $150 respectivly.
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:09:52 AM

It's much easier to buy the whole computer. This way, you won't have to deal with any hardware incompatibilities.
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:14:49 AM

dylan_m said:
Thanks for the replies :) 

I was looking at the Antec Neo Eco 520C (by the way if anyone knows what the "C" after the model number means, please share) and it looks like I can get it off eBay for about $100, leaving me about an extra 60 bucks for a new, better choice of graphics cards. Also, if in the future I decide I want to use crossfire, will my motherboard and psu support that?

So any comments on my new PSU choice or recommendations for a new graphics card?

Thanks again.

Probably could shave a few bucks off of ram by not using OCZ. Gskill and Kingston are usually cheaper plus get 2gb for now.
Then you would have the money for the 5830 and upgrade ram later.
Just a thought.
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:16:23 AM

lcarliste99 said:
It's much easier to buy the whole computer. This way, you won't have to deal with any hardware incompatibilities.
It is not hard to build a computer, people just take a long time to learn or they just make it hard on themselves, when its really easy.

Building your own PC gives you many advantages, much cheaper, much better parts, and as a result much better performance, and you learn about PC's in the process. You can use what you learned to fix your PC whenever the unlikely event you run into a problem, instead of paying some kid at Worst Buy $100's to fix it for you when you could have done it yourself for free or the cost of a replacement part. I could go on about this all day :D 
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:21:07 AM

king smp said:
Probably could shave a few bucks off of ram by not using OCZ. Gskill and Kingston are usually cheaper plus get 2gb for now.

Most RAM prices are right in line with eachother and are all within $10 if your looking at similar spec'd moduals. If you are using a modern OS, Vista or Win7, which I'de assume you are, you really want 4GB of RAM.
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:22:00 AM

I have to admit that I'm not much of a techie. Would that be easy to learn? It seems complex.
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:38:03 AM

lcarliste99 said:
I have to admit that I'm not much of a techie. Would that be easy to learn? It seems complex.

It does take a little time, but if you really like computers and maybe gaming it helps alot. I would say within weeks you would have a good understanding, few months it would be like walking. But, that is my opinion, I learned from reading articles and forums on the web and have accumulated knowledge over the years. But the thing is I enjoy it, its like a hobbie, so I am really interested in PC's, new hardware, and all that kind of stuff. Basically I like to live, eat, sleep, and breath technology. :) 
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:50:53 AM

thechief73 said:
Most RAM prices are right in line with eachother and are all within $10 if your looking at similar spec'd moduals. If you are using a modern OS, Vista or Win7, which I'de assume you are, you really want 4GB of RAM.

I will have to politely disagree:
1) Vista and Win7 will run fine on 2gb as per OS system requirements. Fact is if it is a 32bit version you will only have about 3.25gbs available anyway.
2) Big price difference between OCZ and Kingston Value Ram in price. If OC'ing is not involved the KVR will work fine.
By using 2gb of cheaper ram the OP can afford the 5830.
I agree more ram the better but in this scenario the money would be better spent on video card since primary purpose is gaming.
m
l
November 17, 2010 6:08:11 AM

I only know some, I think I need to learn more. Thanks thechief73. :) 
m
l
November 17, 2010 2:14:19 PM

Kingston is a good brand, but I just wouldnt recommend that particular modual at ALL, that is only one stick of ValueRAM's 2GB (2048MB) DDR3-1333 CL9. With the motherboard you have selected you want to use DDR3 1600/1333/1066 dual channel RAM to get the best performance otherwise your just shooting yourself in the foot.

With the VERY FEW(5) options you have on that website for DDR3 dual channel, you would be best off with either of these two: (If you can link me to other AU websites I can help you find other options as well)

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?produ... ( 1600MHz, First choice - from that particular website)
http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?produ... ( 1333MHz, Second choice - from that particular website)
m
l
November 17, 2010 7:06:16 PM

thechief73 said:
Kingston is a good brand, but I just wouldnt recommend that particular modual at ALL, that is only one stick of ValueRAM's 2GB (2048MB) DDR3-1333 CL9. With the motherboard you have selected you want to use DDR3 1600/1333/1066 dual channel RAM to get the best performance otherwise your just shooting yourself in the foot.

With the VERY FEW(5) options you have on that website for DDR3 dual channel, you would be best off with either of these two: (If you can link me to other AU websites I can help you find other options as well)

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?produ... ( 1600MHz, First choice - from that particular website)
http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?produ... ( 1333MHz, Second choice - from that particular website)

Alright i'll leave that RAM alone. Thanks for having a look, however, I really need it to cost around $50 (so 2GB compared to 4) so I can still have enough money for the 5830. OnlineComputer and eBay Australia, from my research, are the cheapest sites. However, there are some others such as http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/.

BTW what about this? its a little over 50 dollars but it may be worth it.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kingston-4GB-KIT-2x2GB-DDR3-1333...
m
l
November 17, 2010 7:45:22 PM

The set you listed on Ebay would work just fine, if you can fit that into your budget.

Things that need to be considered when you buy your RAM:

1.If you buy one stick of DDR3, your memory will only be running in single channel, which will slow your performance. Since you want this as a gaming computer that is why I recommended you to get 2x2GB set so the will run in Dual Channel and the extra 2GB will helpp your PC respond faster in almost every thing you do.

2. Are you going to be using a 64-bit OS? Vista or Win7? Because in 64-Bit OS's You are able to use the full 4GB and in a 32-Bit OS you will see maybe 3GB or so out of 4GB. The 4GB in a 64-bit OS will make your system run much smoother.

3. You can buy a single stick of 2GB to save some money now, but I would advise you to buy the next stick ASAP to help with your system performance in general. When you buy the second stick it is best to get the same exact one as you already have, if that is not possible you must get the same timings, speed, and voltage as your current stick. So depending on how long you wait this could cause a prolem.

4. Just my opinion, but if your going to spend the money on a nice GPU, it doesnt sound like a good idea to go for a lower than 4GB of RAM for you games sake, but that is just my opinion.
m
l
November 17, 2010 7:54:47 PM

Ok, for 4GB from a online store the two I linked from OnlineComputer are your best bet so far, But the set you have found on ebay is what I would recommend you buy as of right now. Auspcmarket.com.au seems to be too expensive unless you dont mind buying A-RAM brand memory, I have never heard of them but that doesnt really mean they are low quality, it all depends on the memory chips they used to manufacture the RAM.

I have not looked at Ebay yet, I'll post back when I have.
m
l
November 17, 2010 8:06:55 PM

OK, RAM kits I would recommend from Ebay.

2GB Stick - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Corsair-Value-Select-2GB-DDR3-13...

4GB Set - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Corsair-DDR3-4GB-Kit-4-GB-2x2Gb-...

The reason these are both Corsair is that I have used them in them past and never had ANY trouble with them, and I am using them now. Corsair has great customer service and offers lifetime warranties on their products, I know that you will not be dissapointed by them, thats why I recommend them.
m
l
November 18, 2010 4:06:54 AM

Okay cool :)  Here's my updated parts list (sorry about the layout, it was a graph in Microsoft Word and you cant attach files on here so bear with me)

PART NAME STORE PRICE (INC. POSTAGE)

CASE Antec Three Hundred OnLine Computer $97.75
POWER SUPPLY THERMALTAKE 600W LITE POWER eBay $89
GRAPHICS CARD Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB eBay $268
MOTHERBOARD Asus M4A87TD-EVO AM3 ATX eBay $139
RAM Corsair DDR3 4GB Kit 1333MHz eBay $79
OPTICAL DRIVE Samsung SH-B123A Blu-ray/DVD Burner eBay $73.50
HARD DRIVE Western Digital Green 1.0TB SATA eBay $74.99
PROCESSOR AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition eBay $198
DISPLAY LG W2353V 23"LCD Monitor eBay $188
BLUETOOTH USB 2.0 Bluetooth Adapter eBay $4.80
WIFI 300Mbps WIFI PCI Card eBay $23

TOTAL
$ 1235.04

Does all this look okay to you? Please tell me if there's anything you would change. Or if anything's even slightly incompatible with anything else. Eg. PSU doesnt have enough power to power everything, motherboard not supporting crossfire, or even something stupid like the motherboard not supporting wifi speeds of 300MB/s or something. Anything.

Thanks for all your help guys. It looks like i'm almost ready to start ordering :) 
m
l
November 18, 2010 4:51:57 AM

This is just my personal preference, but I would not buy that PSU and for some reason it is not listed on Thermaltakes website :(  , after searching ebay that is still your best choic though. If it is possible for you to find a Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec, with the same wattage for a similar price somewhere, I would do that. If your budget is really tight just go with the Thermaltake. I searched every site you provided and this is the best I can come up with for a PSU, but one is not in stock and there both about 10AU more:

http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?produ...

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?inp...[product_code]=AL-BP500U-PLUS&input[category_id]=1326 (your going to have to copy and paste that one into your browser, thier naming format for the site wont work as a clickable link)

Just to show you how much electronic prices differ from US to AU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also are you 100% sure you need a Blu-Ray burner, you could save alot there. I know some people like to use them alot and you may also, but I am just saying you could save a bit if you dont need it.

But other than that everything looks Ok to me.

And I am just curious not criticizing at all, what are you useing with bluetooth and wifi?
m
l
November 18, 2010 6:58:06 AM

Okay made a couple more changes: PSU - Going back the the Antec Neo Eco 520C, Optical Drive - ASUS 24X SATA LightSribe Burner.

The PSU a tad more expensive but hopefully it'll be worth it. And for the optical drive, you're right, a blu-ray burner is a bit excessive.. I've never burned a BD in my life. Besides, the Asus one has LightScribe :) 

The wifi's for internet, and the bluetooth, well, thats not so essential. But why not? It's only 5 bucks..

Hopefully that's better..
m
l
November 18, 2010 8:08:27 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
November 18, 2010 6:49:11 PM

If I may.... Why not go for the 6850? It'll provide better performance for about $15 less. Also, it'll provide a little bit of future-proofing, as new drivers come out all the time.

Edit: Typo on the price.
m
l
November 18, 2010 7:17:22 PM

makrish said:
If I may.... Why not go for the 6850? It'll provide better performance for about $15 less. Also, it'll provide a little bit of future-proofing, as new drivers come out all the time.

Edit: Typo on the price.

What makes the 6850 better (but cheaper) than the 5830? Would it still me able to be powered by this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OCZ-ModXStream-Pro-600W-80-SLi-C...
m
l
November 18, 2010 7:29:19 PM

dylan_m said:
What makes the 6850 better (but cheaper) than the 5830? Would it still me able to be powered by this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OCZ-ModXStream-Pro-600W-80-SLi-C...

It's the next-gen - it's a bit like what they did with the 4890 and the 4870. They just did some revision of the architecture, and just general improvements. Since they'd already recouped money on the 58xx chipset, they'd be able to sell the 68xx for cheaper.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-rade...

Edit: Yes, the 6850 is more power-efficient than the 5830, meaning it'll save you money over time, too.
m
l
!