I need help cloning hdd

alanbugarin

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hello,
I trying to upgrade my laptop hdd. the old drive is finr, a WD 230 gb, the new drive is a toshiba 1 tb. every time, no matter what program i use, i keep getting errors that won't allow me to clone the drive. I've used pcdisk clone x, norton ghost, and a few others. initially there were no partitions on the new drive, but after my first attempt there is now a 39 mb partition that i cant get rid of, its labeled as a mbr partition, several times i've completed the clone but then drive wont boot. Any ideas? PLease help.

RealBeast

Titan
What OS are you trying to clone? If Windows 7, you need to first clone the 100MB SRP and then the C drive. Also, create a System Repair Disc using one CD and the wizard to create it -- just type system repair disc in the start button search window to find the wizard. You will probably need to have that in your CD/DVD drive when you first boot off the clone to repair the bootloader in the SRP.

Here are the settings to use in Ghost:
First make the destination drive unallocated by deleting all drive partitions in
disc management (under system management, administrative management control panel)

Create the SPR partition first and then the C: partition with these options:

The Ghost options for SRP (system reserve partition) are

Set Drive Active (for booting OS)
Copy MBR
Destination partition type: Primary
Drive letter of None

The Ghost options for Win7 are

Destination partition type: Primary
Resize drive to fill unallocated space (ONLY if you want to)
Drive letter of None

Don't Disable SmartSector copying for either

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wsually if you attempt to clone a disk in use it will always fail.

Download and try easus partition master and the advanced - copy disk feature. This will run a scandisk before copying and reboots into a non interactive command shell to perform the copy.

If you jsut want to delete the 39Mb partition, use "diskpart" from an administrative command prompt