Sign in with
Your question

I need help cloning hdd

Last response: in Storage
March 1, 2013 5:33:34 PM

Hello,
I trying to upgrade my laptop hdd. the old drive is finr, a WD 230 gb, the new drive is a toshiba 1 tb. every time, no matter what program i use, i keep getting errors that won't allow me to clone the drive. I've used pcdisk clone x, norton ghost, and a few others. initially there were no partitions on the new drive, but after my first attempt there is now a 39 mb partition that i cant get rid of, its labeled as a mbr partition, several times i've completed the clone but then drive wont boot. Any ideas? PLease help.

More about : cloning hdd

a c 319 G Storage
March 1, 2013 8:49:01 PM

What OS are you trying to clone? If Windows 7, you need to first clone the 100MB SRP and then the C drive. Also, create a System Repair Disc using one CD and the wizard to create it -- just type system repair disc in the start button search window to find the wizard. You will probably need to have that in your CD/DVD drive when you first boot off the clone to repair the bootloader in the SRP.

Here are the settings to use in Ghost:
First make the destination drive unallocated by deleting all drive partitions in
disc management (under system management, administrative management control panel)

Create the SPR partition first and then the C: partition with these options:

The Ghost options for SRP (system reserve partition) are

Set Drive Active (for booting OS)
Copy MBR
Destination partition type: Primary
Drive letter of None

The Ghost options for Win7 are

Destination partition type: Primary
Resize drive to fill unallocated space (ONLY if you want to)
Drive letter of None

Don't Disable SmartSector copying for either
m
l
March 1, 2013 9:20:53 PM

Wsually if you attempt to clone a disk in use it will always fail.

Download and try easus partition master and the advanced - copy disk feature. This will run a scandisk before copying and reboots into a non interactive command shell to perform the copy.

If you jsut want to delete the 39Mb partition, use "diskpart" from an administrative command prompt
m
l
!