Front USB Ports Don't work

wirm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hi guys,

I just bought and assembled a cheap budget computer for my parents. It is using the Cooler Master Elite 341 case, and seems to be running okay on Linux Mint with the exception of the front USB ports.

Neither of the ports work. I've tried alternating the case's USB connection to the motherboard from USB1 to USB2 and back, but the ports don't work. I don't see any obvious damage, but I'm not an electrician.

Any ideas? I did not install the motherboard's driver CD because I don't know if they will work with Linux (this is my first time using this operating system). Could there be a driver problem that makes the front ports not work? The back ones (attached to the motherboard) work fine.

Thanks

Usually, it may be the case. Unless there has been a physical malfunction, I do not see why. Try to restart the computer. I know in Vista,( I know, different OS), sometimes the OS does not recognize USB. When you restart, if there is some issues that still remain, try to install the motherboard info, form the motherboard website, not the CD. DO not flash the BIOS though. Restart after you have loaded the motherboard settings and see if the ports still work.

What kind of motherboard are you working with? Some less-expensive boards don't have that many USB connections on them.

As a result USB 1 and USB2 might be running the ports off the back of the board and may not be available for use in the front even though you have the case connector attached to them.

The USB ports will most likely not work without the chipset drivers installed. Without the drivers the motherboard has no clue what is where. In windows Microsoft provides universal drivers for most motherboards, but I don't think Linux can do the same , but I don't know diddly about Linux so I could be wrong.

wirm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the responses. This is a BIOSTAR A780L3L AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard, and yes it is very cheap.
Anybody know how I can get Linux chipset drivers for the USB? I'm hoping that there is a software fix for this problem.

randomizer

Champion
There shouldn't be any issue with drivers. If they work for the back ports they should work with the front ports. It's most likely the same USB controller in both cases and USB is so mature that you'd be hard-pressed to find a controller that doesn't have drivers for it in the kernel. If you've got a Windows disk around you could stick it in and see if a USB mouse works in the installer. That would show for certain if it's a software issue or not.

loneninja

Distinguished

I strongly back this suggestion, good way of knowing whether it's a software or hardware issue.