Sign in with
Your question

Fist build, a few question

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2010 2:22:24 PM

Hi everybody, I'm new here and doing my first build. I'm wondering if you can give me some feedback regarding the compatibility of the components I'm thinking of using and if the quality is good.

DVD: Asus DRW-B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X

Case: Rosewill Smart One ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ
1TB 7200 RPM Sata

MB: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX

Graphics: Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1 GB, 123-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

Ram: A-Data Gaming Series 4GB (2X2GB) 240-pin, DDR3 SDRAM 1600

CPU: AMD Athlon II AX 440 Rana 3.0Ghz

My concern is mostly with the MB seeing as I'm not familiar with the brand. Is it a quality board? Thank you for your feedback!

More about : fist build question

November 18, 2010 3:10:16 PM

Hi, and welcome

so let's have a look at your built

DVD is good

Case is looking good for that price, good feedback on neweeg.

HDD spot on

MOBO is not too good even tho it's cheap the PCIs are at x16,x4 and thats not good. You should spend more money on MOBO as it's important part of a new rig.
This MOBO would be better:
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$144.99
(ASUS is high quality brand so nothing to worry about with that. And also this MOBO is capable of Crossfire at x8,x8 wich is good.)

GPU looks ok if you looking at gaming at lower resolution or with higher resolution but med-high setting.

PSU: dont know much about how good antec is at PSUs but i know antec does a very high quality Cases. ( othervise yes 650W is enough)

RAM: Dont know about that brand but it has a very good feedback saying ''they are amazing''.

CPU: For the price this CPU is lookin good, has a very good feedback is well. Also you can unlock the 4th core wich the MOBO i showed is capable of doing.

And now the built looks great to me.

Also have you considered going for gtx 460 or ATI readon HD 6850?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2010 4:10:37 PM

The case, PSU, DVD-drive, HDD are all good.

I am not the best with MOBOs so daves suggestion would probably be best.

The CPU, GPU, and RAM, could a few suggestions.

First off, I suggest that you look into a Phenom II x3 740. That CPU is a Phenom II triple core (with the possibility of being a quad-core) with 6MB of L3 cache and it has a pretty good performance increase over the athlon. And if you are able to unlock the 4th core, you could have you like a Phenom II x4 945, which is like a $140 cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the RAM, look into G-Skill, they are one of the best. 4Gb of DDR-1600 is like $70

Lastly you might want a little more power in the GPU department, look into a HD 5830, which goes for like $165 on Newegg. The HD 5830 is about twice the computing power of the HD 5770.

-M
Related resources
November 18, 2010 4:20:08 PM

Also look for combo deals when buying parts, i save nearly $70 buying my parts in combo. I got a corasiar PSU 850W and G.Skill 4gb ddr3 1600 for $190 compared to $230. I also found some other combo deals as well, but i would recommend that before purchasing and not saving $$$.
November 18, 2010 5:12:34 PM

Yh all of those suggestions are great but maybe you could just get AMD penom ii x4 955 BE retail.... great CPU
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2010 6:17:11 PM

Yeah, look into a Phenom x4 at least an 9xx
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2010 1:41:50 AM

That mobo and a Phenom II x3 or X4.
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2010 2:08:56 AM

^ That mobo is kind of over-priced imo. I think this would be a better buy if you chose that motherboard. This mobo has the same qualities and USB 3.0.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't suggest upgrading to a Phenom II X3 or X4, well maybe the Phenom X3 740, but not the X4, reason being. If you can keep your budget as low as possible. Do it. The Bulldozer series is coming out next year for AMD and that'll be a new chipset (AM3+ or AM3r2) however you want to call it, it'll be better and faster. So if you save enough money on this build, just keep upgrading through the course of the years. I mean expect Bulldozer to be cheaper since SB (sandy bridge) seems like it'll bulldoze bulldozer, so... Yeah... just my 2 cents.
!