Best setup for physX in Nvidia control panel

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Can anyone tell me the best settings for gaming in control panel for 2 x GTX 480s?
The options are Auto, GTX 480 1, GTX 480 2 or for CPU to handel physx.
Any advice appreciated.

Careful here. Auto is probably best, but if you want to specify, tell it to use both graphics cards in SLI for PhysX. If you select just one of the cards, you will have graphics on one card and PhysX on the other, totally wasting one of the cards in your SLI setup. Having the dual SLI cards perform both graphics and PhysX is best for the highest framerates. Do not have the CPU handle PhysX.

You can't set PhysX to run on both cards, it's either one or the other.

notty22

Distinguished
SlI and auto here.
When I check its picked 1 or 2 at different times.
Auto is definitely the best. Selecting a gpu, dedicates it to that task and disables SLI.
It will never use the cpu in auto, so no worries there.

Sorry, I don't do SLI yet. I just want to be clear, that when you have SLI and want to do PhysX, are you saying one of the cards does both graphics and PhysX and one does just graphics? Are you saying it's impossible to have both cards in SLI handle both graphics and PhysX. The last thing we want to do in a proper SLI setup is dedicate one of the cards to PhysX, while the other handles all the graphics by itself.

I guessed that from your response, the options that you get are to run either auto, CPU, card 1 or card 2 that's it.

Accidentaly

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
and after that it has a check to dedicate to physx dont click the box and both cards do graphics but physx is still on card two
this helps for two reasons
a. multiple monitor situations
b. better framerates both cards alternate between frames running it cooler overall