Closed Solved

Motherboard's sound vs X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity

Hello :D.

I recently purchased a MSI P55-G55A 1156 motherboard.

My question is whether the soundcard built into my motherboard is better than my X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity PCI card.

From MSI's website I was able to pull this out:

Quote:
Audio

• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC892
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec
- Meet Microsoft Vista Premium spec

I don't really understand what specs mean for sound cards but here's some info on the card: http://reviews.cnet.com/sound-cards/creative-sound-blaster-x/4507-9334_7-31484388.html

I've heard that having a dedicated sound card takes some load off the processor which would mean better performance overall. I'm not really a sound-freak nor a hardcore gamer but I just dont want to add something that detracts from the performance.

My current system:

Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.83Ghz (everything stock settings :P)
MSI P55a-G55
430W Antec Basiq Power Supply
XFX Radeon 5670 1GB
500GB Seagate Baracuda
Windows 7 Professional

Thanks for your help!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard sound xtreme fidelity
  1. Best answer
    id say xfi since it supports better soundc quality in games, and adds options, the xfi-line of creative is quite good, even there low end xfi is an upgrade from onboard sound
  2. To reap the rewards of good quality sound card over onboard digital you will have to have a good speaker system (headphones) not some generic crap.
  3. ^+1 i agree 100% if you don't have high quality speakers or headphones a soundcard is a waste.
    If you have quality speakers/headphones, yes , a soundcard is a improvement over onboard.
    Do you have to spend alot of money?
    No!
    I have a Msi P55A-GD55(secondary rig)with an Auzentech X-Plosion ($45 CAD) hooked up to Logitech X-540($50) and it sounds good to me.
    I realize neither of the above components are first rate but honestly for the money it's a major improvement over onboard and cheapo(generic) speakers.
    Both prices were basically half price on sale.
    Quality sound on a budget can be done.
  4. I do alot of recording (guitar,keyboard,vocals) on my tower so a soundcard is a must.
    Though I went with a Xonar DG to keep costs down.
    24bit/48khz sampling is fine for the recording I do.
    Also use a Creative surround sound speaker system so I think it makes a difference there also.
  5. which budget speakers beside that would u recommand davcon> im using aset of edifiers 2.1 and sound quite good, on a audigy 2
  6. Best answer selected by SupraUX.
  7. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Motherboards Components