Samsung 840 SSd will not boot after cloning win xp hdd in asus netbook

TrapezeCDN

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
New to forum and apologise if this is already in another thread

ASUS eee PC 1005HA net book Samsung 840 250GB SSD

cloned the 160 GBHDD using Samsung migration tool v 1.1 then swapped the drives.

when it boots it goes to the Windows screen then flashes a blue screen with some writing (looks like prompts) , but it is so fast I cannot even attempt to read and barely see it. the it goes to an ASUS screen saying F2 for setup or tab for.....

what am I missing?

Thanks in advance

mhd_1

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Cloning your HDD to SSD often cause problems, whether minor or major. I suggest you just get a clean OS installation on your SSD and install everything else from scratch.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Try to get the information (FULL error code numbers and descritions) when it boots up to the blue screen.

Without any additional information I would agree with mhd_1...the migration tool works about 75% of the time- you might have fallen into the unlucky 25%.

Do you have an OS or OS recovery disk? If not you might have to try migration again...but before we go there lets get the specific error code info and see if we cant hash that out.

TrapezeCDN

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

The screen flashes so fast it is not even readable. It givs me the impression of old DOS screens, mind you with a blue background and white lettering, but again it flashes for less than a fraction of a second, so it is impossible to read.

Clean install is not my ideal. Not even sure where all the disks (if then even came) with this 2.5 year old net book. was just hoping to try a SSD larger than the original HDD to expand space and find out if it is that much faster that i might invest in one for my Win7 desktop.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Oh, I can tell you, with no uncertainty, SSD's are much much faster. My desktop build boots in 40 seconds with my Samsung 840 pro. Programs, when I double click open immediately...there is no wait time.

TrapezeCDN

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

When time allows, that was my next step, take apart the netbook, (trying to avoid doing this too many times as plastic and connectors can fail), reinstall the 160 GB HDD, make sure it works and re-do the migration/cloning.

Do you know of ways to post pics or vids on the forum, so I can show what the boot up is like. Might give insights as I am sure my nomenclature/vocabulary is probably mis-representing some minute detail that will turn up to be relevant.

must admit I wish there was some ay to ensure the firmware and all other details were updated while this thing is plugged into the USB port.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I wouldnt worry about the firmware as much, it should work right out of the box. and as far as pictures go press the "reply to kjwinden" under this post and there should be a button to press that allows you to insert images.

TrapezeCDN

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Well removed everything and re-did the cloning using the samsung software again. this time it took, but must admit in my windows XP machine, not that great a difference for boot speeds etc.