Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Q6600 with 127C Temp

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2011 10:45:22 AM

Just heard the Sandybridge bugs news, I postpone the suggestion upgrade in this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298194-28-value-money...

For temporary upgrades, I use the option to upgrade to motherboard limit. Currently, I have Q6600 SLACR on my hand. But not included HSF since I bought it on eBay. After installing this Q6600 as the replacement of E6300, my PC only runs for 2minutes. After that, automatic shutdown by BIOS. What surprise me is the startup temp. On BIOS, my Processor temp is 127C. Far beyond my E6300 temp startup at 43C. Is there any one know this issue? I know it's like 3 years ago, but I just found this issue with me.

Resetting BIOS, applying thermal paste, and using E6300 stock HSF. Won't do any good. Even running Q6600 at 267Mhz x 6 still producing boiling temp. Should I upgrade my HSF too? several OC forums said they can reach 3.0GHz with stock HSF of Q6600.

Thanks.

More about : q6600 127c temp

a c 133 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 10:52:06 AM

Are you sure you removed all the old paste with alcohol before reapplying also when you did reset it did you make sure it is evenly distributing on the heatsink you do not need alot of thermal compound. The only two reason a CPU would be hitting those temps instantly is one the heatsink is not firmly seated or two the voltage is set way way too high. I would reset the heatsink with the tiniest amount of thermal compound just a little BB size drop will do. I would also reset the bios to ensure the voltage is set to what the VID from the CPU tells it to be set at. The E6300 could have needed more voltage or something got messed up somewhere along the line in the bios.

The E6300 heatsink should be fine for stock voltage and speed as long as it is set right and the fan spinning there should be no problem.
m
l
February 13, 2011 11:08:43 AM

saaiello said:
Are you sure you removed all the old paste with alcohol before reapplying also when you did reset it did you make sure it is evenly distributing on the heatsink you do not need alot of thermal compound. The only two reason a CPU would be hitting those temps instantly is one the heatsink is not firmly seated or two the voltage is set way way too high. I would reset the heatsink with the tiniest amount of thermal compound just a little BB size drop will do. I would also reset the bios to ensure the voltage is set to what the VID from the CPU tells it to be set at. The E6300 could have needed more voltage or something got messed up somewhere along the line in the bios.

The E6300 heatsink should be fine for stock voltage and speed as long as it is set right and the fan spinning there should be no problem.

Aaah, never heard alcohol tricks before. I just wiped the grayish old paste with cloth. I'll clean it again. How come it could be the cause of hi temp?

Speaking of VID, what it is Q6600 VID? Since the voltage is not changed with resetting BIOS to default Value.
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 11:15:06 AM

The VID is most likely around 1.15 real good chips may be lower. And now the reason that old paste might cause problems is because it creates air pockets between the CPU and Heasink even if they are microscopic it will matter because air is a horrible conductor of heat. The thermal paste is only on there to fill in any imperfection that might be there from manufacturing. If you were to lap your CPU and Heatsink (Lap:Means sand smooth and flat) til it was perfectly smooth and flat you would not even need thermal compound, but to do that is near impossible.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 8:05:02 PM

^The stock VID for Q6600 SLACR was 1.35v for a normal one. Mine was 1.275v. 1.15v would be an amazing VID to have on that CPU. I run my Q6600 @ 3GHz @ 1.232v luckily.

I would ask this though: Is that the stock heatsink for a E6300? If so, it may not be able to really dissipate the heat well enough. I would also look into a new HSF that is more addequate for thermal dissipation for the Q6600.

Remember, the heatsinks Intel packages with the CPUs are meant for a certain TDP and the E6300 has a much lower TDP than the Q6600.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 8:10:02 PM

I never had a Q6600 it was a guess 45nm CPUs are around 1.15 I forgot that the 65nm CPUs were much higher.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 8:48:58 PM

Yea they were higher but not too bad. But the 45nm chips really did lower the stock VID a lot.
m
l
a c 134 à CPUs
February 13, 2011 8:53:39 PM

wouldnt know my q6600 g0 rev is 65nm, imagine how far u could oc a q6600 if it was 25 nanometers :D 
m
l
February 14, 2011 1:05:57 AM

jimmysmitty said:
^The stock VID for Q6600 SLACR was 1.35v for a normal one. Mine was 1.275v. 1.15v would be an amazing VID to have on that CPU. I run my Q6600 @ 3GHz @ 1.232v luckily.

I would ask this though: Is that the stock heatsink for a E6300? If so, it may not be able to really dissipate the heat well enough. I would also look into a new HSF that is more addequate for thermal dissipation for the Q6600.

Remember, the heatsinks Intel packages with the CPUs are meant for a certain TDP and the E6300 has a much lower TDP than the Q6600.

as a default value on reset-ed BIOS, the my VID is 1.28v which is still in range of official info from intel here: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?spec=SLACR
I should say that it should not be the VID is the problem. Maybe I'll put an extra $ for new HSF.

yes, I'm still using stock HSF of E6300. I've looked and searched to local store, they just give me perfectly same HSF for Q6600 for USD8. Searching on eBay also give a similar with mine now. I can't find the original boxed of Q6600 lately, since people straightly choose new in box i7 right?

anyway, if max TDP of E6300 is 65W and max TDP of Q6600 is 105W, which is 62% more than E6300, is that enough reason I should upgrade HSF to, for example, like Thermaltake Jing?
m
l
February 14, 2011 1:11:33 AM

iceclock said:
wouldnt know my q6600 g0 rev is 65nm, imagine how far u could oc a q6600 if it was 25 nanometers :D 

If intel produces Q6600 in 25nm technology, maybe SandyBridge would not be exists nowadays :D 
m
l
a c 134 à CPUs
February 14, 2011 1:11:51 AM

well for the price a prolimatech megahalem is 60$ + 10$ for fan , so ya go with a prolimatech heatsink , prolimatech is at the top of the king of air coolers ;) 
m
l
February 14, 2011 1:23:06 AM

I've cleaned both surface (HSF and Processor) with the 80% alcohol from pharmacist, is that ok? since I can't find the special cleansing alcohol like ArtiClean.

Applying ThermalTake Arctic Silver 5 (which I bought it at 2006 :D ) would only decrease it to 103C, which is still can frying my Q6600. Well, at least it still powered up longer than 2 minutes :na: 

The question is, since this is an eBay used processor, how do I determine whether:
a. this processor is defect,
b. my VID core setting is still wrong, OR
c. my HSF and thermalpaste should be upgraded to since they can't handle 162% TDP Q6600 compared to E6300?

l
February 14, 2011 2:15:25 AM

iceclock said:
well for the price a prolimatech megahalem is 60$ + 10$ for fan , so ya go with a prolimatech heatsink , prolimatech is at the top of the king of air coolers ;) 

wow, just search the product, it's like twin tower! :D  Ok, I'll put it on my list.. But, having these HSF (Tt Jing, Prolimatech Megahalem) makes me wonder their weights. Nearly they are 1kg! is it safe for the chip?

I'm having experience with big HSF for my Pentium 4, that It can crack the processor since they are heavier than stock fan. Do you think that it safe for Q6600 too?
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
February 14, 2011 4:04:14 AM

tintinmcleod said:
I've cleaned both surface (HSF and Processor) with the 80% alcohol from pharmacist, is that ok? since I can't find the special cleansing alcohol like ArtiClean.

Applying ThermalTake Arctic Silver 5 (which I bought it at 2006 :D ) would only decrease it to 103C, which is still can frying my Q6600. Well, at least it still powered up longer than 2 minutes :na: 

The question is, since this is an eBay used processor, how do I determine whether:
a. this processor is defect,
b. my VID core setting is still wrong, OR
c. my HSF and thermalpaste should be upgraded to since they can't handle 162% TDP Q6600 compared to E6300?

I would try to get 90%+ alcohol. I prefer 99% myself, and as hard as it is to find is well worth it.

The Tt Jing looks nice. And those are fine for the CPU. Most big ones like that use a bolt through system anyways that keeps the pressure where it needs to be.

Check your BIOS for the VCore. It should be between 1.28v-1.35v. If its higher, then manually set it to 1.28v.

I still say a new HSF will benefit you.
m
l

Best solution

a c 133 à CPUs
February 14, 2011 11:09:03 AM

The 80% will work fine if you already got it. I really don't think it would be getting that hot that quick just because you are using the cooler from the E6300, but really your only choose right now is to try a bigger cooler and hope for the best.

It is very possible that it is defective CPU if you got it off EBAY. Most of those chips were probably very abused by overclocking and such. So really your only option is to try a new cooler and maybe try some new thermal paste it could be that the AS5 had lost some of its pliability over time and is just not spreading right.
February 14, 2011 11:59:35 PM

saaiello said:
The 80% will work fine if you already got it. I really don't think it would be getting that hot that quick just because you are using the cooler from the E6300, but really your only choose right now is to try a bigger cooler and hope for the best.

It is very possible that it is defective CPU if you got it off EBAY. Most of those chips were probably very abused by overclocking and such. So really your only option is to try a new cooler and maybe try some new thermal paste it could be that the AS5 had lost some of its pliability over time and is just not spreading right.

After spending 8 hours in Valentine night, I think I can handle this baby. This is what I've done:

1. Following official guide from Intel how to install LGA775 Processor and its HSF in here: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031426.ht...(install+lga)

2. Buying new TIM from CoolMaster ThermalFusion 400, since it has A grade and AS5 is B grade based on this review:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

3. Cleaning and recleaning again the HSF contact surface with alcohol 80% from pharmastore.

4. Applying TIM to round surface HSF based on this article 

5. Applying TIM to Q6600 metal cap based on this article http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.ht...

I know that it is redundant to applying TIM on HSF and on Processor, but I was trying all of my luck :)  the result is my baby can startup with 44C. 2 minutes later, it was increased to 56C and stable at 58C for the next 8 hours only on BIOS screen. Temperature room is 29C without AC. I think my AS5 is already expired or something, since changing it to TF400 bring me to this temp.

Maybe I should buy a new HSF since others can startup their machine and stable at 40C on idle.
m
l
February 15, 2011 12:00:52 AM

Best answer selected by tintinmcleod.
m
l
February 15, 2011 12:01:58 AM

Thank you for all comments and suggestions :D 
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
February 15, 2011 1:55:00 AM

Temps are still a little high I would suggest getting a bigger heatsink. It does not have to be anything crazy just something that can cool the Quad core chip better.

m
l
a c 84 à CPUs
February 15, 2011 8:10:32 AM

i think the temps are ok considering his room temp is 29 degrees and he is using an e6300 cooler. but i also think that the e6300 heatsink would not be reccommended. find a better heatsink.
m
l
February 15, 2011 2:15:01 PM

Just add an extra 120mm casing fan with 4000rpm blowing from out side directly on top of processor heatsink fan. Yeah, I know I should manage the air flow inside the casing. I already installed 100mm casing fan to pulling out heat from HSF to outside the casing. This unmanaged airflow yield a stable 52C of temp that is monitored on BIOS screen.

The strange thing is: BIOS temperature monitoring is totally different with Windows 7 Pro monitored with CPUID Hardware Monitor. If BIOS said that my CPU temp stable at 52C, the software told me that CPU temp is only 42C. Several inspections has been done, and the root cause is the Core Voltage is totally different.

At the first time, I run CPU-Z and it said that my Q6600 speed is 267MHz x 6, and core voltage is 1.18v. The same info were stated also in CPUID HWMon. I realized that in BIOS my q6600 is 267 MHz x 9 and 1.30v. Is that the root cause why I get 52C stable in BIOS Mode?

Running Prime95 for 5minutes made my Q6600 monitoring status' changed. CPU-Z and CPUID HWMon told me that Q6600 is 267MHz x 9 and the core voltage is 1.30v. The CPU temp was increased to 56C.

So, whenever a benchmarking said that they had certain degree of temp when Idle, did they mean temp when running windows or just running the BIOS monitoring? What is my idle temp: 52C (BIOS) or 42C (Win7)?
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
February 15, 2011 2:27:45 PM

OK Bios temp is most likely the closest to the actual temp there is a degree of in accuracy when reading temps via software, but they are usually close I trust the Bios over software.

The 267 x 6 and 267 x 9 this is called Speedstep it is a way to save energy it will down-clock itself and lower the voltage to use less energy, but will go back to full speed when it is needed as you saw when you used Prime 95. Your temps while running Prime are about spot on for what they should be. So what you are seeing is perfectly normal and should not worry you at all. Now enjoy your computer and stop worrying. :) 
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
February 16, 2011 12:43:19 AM

tintinmcleod said:
After spending 8 hours in Valentine night, I think I can handle this baby. This is what I've done:

1. Following official guide from Intel how to install LGA775 Processor and its HSF in here: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031426.ht...(install+lga)

2. Buying new TIM from CoolMaster ThermalFusion 400, since it has A grade and AS5 is B grade based on this review:

3. Cleaning and recleaning again the HSF contact surface with alcohol 80% from pharmastore.

4. Applying TIM to round surface HSF based on this article 

5. Applying TIM to Q6600 metal cap based on this article http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.ht...

I know that it is redundant to applying TIM on HSF and on Processor, but I was trying all of my luck :)  the result is my baby can startup with 44C. 2 minutes later, it was increased to 56C and stable at 58C for the next 8 hours only on BIOS screen. Temperature room is 29C without AC. I think my AS5 is already expired or something, since changing it to TF400 bring me to this temp.

Maybe I should buy a new HSF since others can startup their machine and stable at 40C on idle.

At least its stable but I get 32c idle and hit 50-55c when under full load (Prime 95, etc).
m
l
February 16, 2011 11:01:12 AM

jimmysmitty said:
At least its stable but I get 32c idle and hit 50-55c when under full load (Prime 95, etc).

Yeah, I think it should be okay for now. Just like SAAIELO said, I should stop worrying my PC and start enjoying a little new horse power of my PC :) 

Thank you all, your experiences are very helpful! Greeting from Jakarta Indonesia :love: 
m
l
February 16, 2011 11:04:33 AM

jimmysmitty said:

Yeah, I think it should be okay for now. Just like SAAIELO said, I should stop worrying my PC and start enjoying a little new horse power of my PC :) 

Thank you all, your experiences are very helpful! Greeting from Jakarta Indonesia :love: 
m
l
!