Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade to 16GB RAM? from 4GB

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2011 6:53:00 AM

Hello guys!

I want to upgrade to 16 GB of Memory (from 4 GB) and from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7.

I do LOTS of Video Editing (After Effects rendering), 3D Rendering and some Photoshop and gaming, with LOTS of Firefox Browsers/tabs open. My computer is slooow currently.

Should I go with 16 GB of RAM and upgrade to Windows 7?
Side note: Can I somehow use my installed Windows XP Programs if I do a Win7 upgrade??? Is that even possible?

MY COMP DETAILS:
- I have a 3.00 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-core

- Windows XP SP3
- Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78T-E (4 Slots), DD3

I have 4GB ram (only 3 GB useable cuz of XP 32 bit)

1TB Hard Drive

More about : upgrade 16gb ram 4gb

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
October 17, 2011 7:11:26 AM

Upgrading from XP-32 to Win7 will require a reformat and a clean install. You will need to reinstall all of your software.
m
l
October 17, 2011 11:50:21 AM

AdamRobert said:
Hello guys!

I want to upgrade to 16 GB of Memory (from 4 GB) and from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7.

I do LOTS of Video Editing (After Effects rendering), 3D Rendering and some Photoshop and gaming, with LOTS of Firefox Browsers/tabs open. My computer is slooow currently.

Should I go with 16 GB of RAM and upgrade to Windows 7?
Side note: Can I somehow use my installed Windows XP Programs if I do a Win7 upgrade??? Is that even possible?

MY COMP DETAILS:
- I have a 3.00 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-core

- Windows XP SP3
- Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78T-E (4 Slots), DD3

I have 4GB ram (only 3 GB useable cuz of XP 32 bit)

1TB Hard Drive

What confuses me here is that you have to ask :)  You already know the extra memory is going to be great for the creative applications. Just check the motherboard supports it, do a quick check on any memory that the board doesn't like, get 4x4gb diims at whatever speed is cheapest (the memory speed won't have any effect on things like 3d work and video editing) You'll be as happy as a pig in mud. You might also consider an upgrade to the 1090T which should give you a bit of a speed bump too, especially with a decent air cooler and some overclocking. Windows 7 is a must have really just for 64bit support alone.
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 17, 2011 3:44:06 PM

^ :pfff: 

Yes, it's possible and I strongly encourage you to use 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate. I do agree you'll need to backup your data and use a Clean Install of Windows 7.

Other options - or get a new HDD if the drives getting old or you don't want to risk loss or have no backup. If keeping to old HDD unplug it before installing Windows on a new HDD.

CS5 Adobe Premiere Pro or After Effects will not run on 32-bit (XP, Vista or 7) nor 64-bit XP - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/825/cpsid_82595.html

M4A78T-E (Windows 7 supported) - http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A78TE/#downl...
m
l
October 17, 2011 9:27:00 PM

Thank you, thank you all!

1. I should've clarified, I meant to say: Is there a Huge Difference (or difference at all) between 8 GB and 16GB, everyone I've asked in person, gives me conflicting answers (and swears by it). Some say NO 16 GB will actually slow it down (bottleneck), others say YES do it!!

2. Also, does Power Supply matter at all? I have a 650 WATT I'm wondering if that'll do the job?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 17, 2011 11:41:36 PM

1. False - no bottleneck. 8GB is good for gaming on x64 OS and is the sweet-spot for Photoshop. 16GB or more, more the better, is good for Rendering and extremely large databases, and does indeed accelerate RAM hungry environments.
2. No - the RAM adds maybe a few watts. As long as the PSU is properly sized for your system -> http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/ IF it's too small then typically the GPU (rendering) is affected first. Never undersize a PSU, you 'can' have a 1500W on a 600W consuming system with ZERO ill affects, but 500W all sorts of issues.

FYI - Windows XP x64 is horrible; see my post above for OS.
m
l
October 18, 2011 12:12:44 AM

A small note re PSUs - they are actually far less efficient if you're way off their peak draw. A 1500W PSU with efficiency quoted at 85% will be far less efficient if you're only drawing 600W. That's what I've gathered from my forum reading anyway. Obviously don't undersize but try to stay realistic if you want high efficiency. Unless you're hiding a high end graphics card 650W should be easily enough.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 18, 2011 1:04:55 AM

^I don't disagree with efficiency. But being real about it most likely 1% even with my deliberate exaggeration example!

I was attempting to make a point not to undersize - too small and it is useless and can harm your system. Regarding your electric bill the savings are minor Low Load vs Typical Load. :??:  It's up to your smarts when you purchase a PSU and the efficiency you choose ($ now or later), my Servers use Platinum-certified but they're running at a predictable load 7/24/365.

Most folks and even those who game and OC rarely are sitting pretty on the top of the efficiency curve, and for the example below are running at 90%~91% 80% of the time - high or low sides. And the VAST majority are not running GOLD-certified efficiency PSUs. The typical 'Bronze-certified' is a 1% or less gain/loss.

Ideally 50% Load to Rated is ideal efficiency - best for your Electric Bill - 1%~3% savings good luck keeping your load there.

Gold:

Bronze:
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2011 2:19:41 AM

You can upgrade to Windows 7 from XP if you really must because you have a program you can't reinstall. It is not recommended to do this, a clean install is much better.
The method is to upgrade to Windows Vista first (no need to activate) and from Vista upgrade to Windows 7. This can take a VERY long time to do and is not always successful.
m
l
!