Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb OC

funcut

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
i`m planning to buy a new graphic card so i think i`m going to choose this card

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3530#ov

what do you think about this card, price is ok about 40$ expensive then gtx 460 768 mb version.

how long will i be able to run games on this pc.
amd athlon ii x4 635
2gb Ram( 4 gb later)

or shuld i choose 768mb version because i will play on 1680x1050?

one more question what do you think of monitor: Aoc 2219VWA?

I own this card and it is bay far one of the best out there. You wouldn't know that ti was there even with the fan at 100%. They are FAST compared to past generations and the 1gb keeps up with higher priced cards out there. With some overclocking you can easily have 5850 level performance and maxed out it is closer to the GTX 470 level. By the way this card has VRM cooling and it going to last a lot longer than those that don't.

2-4 years depending on the setting and res. You can get a long life out of a decent machine but ram and a decent hard drive you can not skimp on also every thing else must be of quality but beyond that pay little attention to any one else. 2GB ram isn't much and 4GB is good enough for a few years while any more will be to your advantage.

funcut

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
i will first get 2gb Ram and then after few months i will buy 2gb more. hard drive is 500gb, i think that is fine for me.

is this monitor good. Aoc 2219VWA? cost about 200$

Sounds good enough for ram but when it comes to hard drives it is not about storage it is speed that counts. As for the monitor only if you have a need/want for it and don't count it as necessary. Only the rich kids who get through university on their parents money think that way.

funcut

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
i don`t know prices in US but here this 200$ monitor is one of the cheapest.

btw. i don`t like monitors above 22", 24" is too big for me.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

My EVGA GTX460 1GB SuperClocked is barely adequate at 1680x1050.
(Cannot use DX11 at this resolution.)
I'm a bit disappointed - it's a little stronger than my old HD4870, but barely...
So the 768MB would be a really bad plan.
Regards

According to benchmarks at stock the 786mb card is approximately 25-30% faster than the HD4870 and the 1gb card is 35-40% faster. Your "superclocked" card should actually be better than those numbers though. By "cant use DX11 at 1680x1050" I'll have to assume you mean Metro 2033 specifically because it wouldn't make sense otherwise and you simply cannot make an broad generalizations based on one game.
If you aren't getting close to these numbers then a CPU bottleneck would be my first guess but no matter what the cause you shouldn't be giving advice to others on the basis of some deficiency or issue in your specific system. The card has been benchmarked by every major tech site and those numbers don't support what you are saying at all.

skillmore

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
before you buy that card, here's my experience with two of them in SLI with an asus p55 board and an i5

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=299298&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

The drivers have driven me up the damn wall since day one. Also, my vantage score in sli has only been up to 23000, although im not sure if thats because my i5-760 is running on stocks, as well as the GPU. all the other scores i've seen though were 2000-3000 higher. Im not sure where the missing preformance went

also my power suply is an xfx 850watts, so that wouldnt be the problem either. and i have 8gigs of g.skill ram. oh and an asus 23.6 inch 1920x1080 screen

Edit #4. All this BS aside, and the missing points, they have been good to me. Game preformance wise there better than anything I've had before. They just seem to be finicky beyond belief.

Well I just got through modding mine and was disappointed with the cooler -_- and the vrm runs hotter than I had thought. The vrm cooler that they used is better than nothing which is more than most got but it isn't enough and the vram gets toasty and none have them cooled unless its with a water block :( oh well time to find thicker thermal pads or chop some aluminum plate and mod once more. :pfff:

Live and Learn. :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwbLWweakRY

skillmore

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
what temps are you getting? one of my cards is blowing hit air directly on the back of the other but even then i get from 35-38c idle and maybe around 55-59c tops under full loads

It doesn't matter if the core is nice and cool when the VRM is a boiling 100c+. If the VRM fails it bricks the whole card. I had a $4k plasma TV die because of a hot VRM in the Z module that eventually pricked the TV. Keeping the card as cool as possible from the start is the best thing any one can do. Id the dies don't fail the bonding will once it goes through extremes of temperatures.

skillmore

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
how are you checking VRAM temps, im still illiterate at most of this stuff. researched it and all that turned up was that the card either A. doesnt have a sensor for memory, or B. something to do with the VDDC volts, in which case mine is <1 volt(GPU-Z). Not sure what that means.

This sounds like some info to know about the card. Guess we're still on topic.

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
if you're in the market for a good graphic but still within your reach then this is the one to buy... recently i bought a 23.6" full hd monitor to replace my old 17 inch and i admittedly a little bit surprised that it can even handle dirt 2 at full hd resolution with high settings because i expect this card to fail at that resolution.... go for it!!!

TRENDING THREADS