Sign in with
Your question
Solved

USB ports won't work with mice

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2011 1:52:53 PM

I hate to ask this again. All my mice (mouses) stopped working through any or all of my usb ports on my old ASUS AMD 939 mobo. The mice work if I plug them into my laptop, but not on any of my desktop usb ports. My keyboard works on the usb ports, but not the mice.

Any body know how to fix this? Is there a way to reset the usb ports?

I am building a new 1155 Z68 mobo i5 Intel build soon. I have all the parts, I just need to use the olf 939 for a few more days or week.

Thanks all.

More about : usb ports work mice

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 17, 2011 2:14:13 PM

That weird - USB clearly is 'functioning'. If you're not running Window 7 then in BIOS see if USB Legacy -> Enabled and maybe EHCI Hand-Off -> Enabled corrects the problem. But before doing so look in the Device Manager for ANY {? or !} devices listed.

Q - What MOBO?
Q - What OS?

Also, you can try to temporarily disconnect the USB Front Panel connections; rule-out a short.
m
l
October 17, 2011 5:41:08 PM

jaquith said:
That weird - USB clearly is 'functioning'. If you're not running Window 7 then in BIOS see if USB Legacy -> Enabled and maybe EHCI Hand-Off -> Enabled corrects the problem. But before doing so look in the Device Manager for ANY {? or !} devices listed.

Q - What MOBO?
Q - What OS?

Also, you can try to temporarily disconnect the USB Front Panel connections; rule-out a short.

Thanks for the reply jacquith.

It's an ASUS A8N5X mobo running Windows XP Pro 32 bit with an old Athlon II 939 dual core.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 17, 2011 7:45:47 PM

ASUS A8N5X - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8N5X/
10 USB 2.0 ports
manual - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N5X/e21...

/noted USB, PCI 1 and LAN are shared on (A)/

As I asked, in the "Device Manager for ANY {? or !} devices listed?" If yes then right-click Uninstall and reboot.

BIOS: {verify}
USB Configuration
USB Controller -> Enabled
USB 2 Controller -> Enabled
USB Legacy Support -> Enabled

Failure, re-install the Mouse driver or Uninstall from the Device Manager; use the Keyboard to do the deletion.

Failure, Clear CMOS / Jumper method as page 1-19 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0
BIOS:
Set Date and Time and Save ; if the Date and Time is unchanged then you didn't Clear CMOS - try again.

Failure, boot using a 'PS/2' keyboard and/or Mouse, create a Restore Point, open the Device Manager, expand the [+] 'Universal Serial Bus controllers', using the tab, arrow keys, and [Menu] keys delete all entries. Window key and restart. The process is easier a PS/2 Mouse.
October 23, 2011 5:00:20 PM

Thanks again jaquith. I'll give it a try when I'm feeling better and can think a little more clearly. I've had a slight medical problem for the last week or so.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 5:04:35 PM

Sorry to hear :(  Let me know...
m
l
October 27, 2011 3:29:56 AM

Best answer selected by garyhope.
m
l