I7-950 temperatures

ja9g08

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I wondered if these results are an issue...

I am running an i7-950 on an asus x58 sabertooth with a corsair TX 750W PSU.
I am performing a blend test with prime95 and monitoring temperatures with Core Temp.
I am using all stock settings and fans. I have four 120mm cheap case fans.
All my cores are idling at approx. 40 degrees C.
When running a blend test my cores max at 85degrees celsius @ 3.2GHZ.
I plan on using my system for gaming..

Any help would be appreciated...

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hmm - I wouldn't be happy with those temps. They're not too high, but they are pushing it.

What heat sink are you using? What thermal contact are you using? Four 120mm fans (assuming they spin up to a reasonable speed) really should be alright, you can make a much great impact with an improved heatsink and thermal contact.

If you are using the system for gaming having constant high temperatures will hurt the lifespan of your, certainly not preferable.

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Right, stock heatsinks are awful. Stock contacts are even worse. You'll undoubtedly be able to get several degrees C of that temp simply by changing your thermal contact to some arctic silver. Providing Newegg links as I don't know your country, have a look around for better prices:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=arctic_silver-_-35-100-007-_-Product

And that heatsink would be a huge improvement. Definitely worth it. Make sure you check the dimensions vs. your free space too - nothing worse than buying a heatsink that doesn't fit.

ja9g08

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks man, I will order the new parts write away. Hmmm what is the point of intel selling products that run so hot they can't use the stock fan FFS.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi ja9g08 :hello: ...I know it sounds stupid to tell you this on a post,but on an Intel forum that I was watching I seen a similar post to yours in that it was a overheating problem :pt1cable: ...This man that put up that post owned up later on that he found that the heatsink was not seated properly & that he tightened the screws up & that made the expected temperatures that he was expecting to see :) ...First try to check all the easier faults that can occur,like heatsinks not tightened properly or that the screws could be cracked or snapped in half & not clamping down the heatsink properly or even your cpu fan leads are not connected properly to the mainboard & even that you may have forgot to use thermal paste,but on stock intel heatsinks they have those strips that you peal off ;) ...Just simple check ups like that may help you find the problem & ease your soul of panic attacks :pt1cable: ...

well id recommand getting atleast a decent budget after market cooler such as

CORSAIR CAFA50 120mm CPU Cooler for 35$ good buy unless ur willing to upgrade to a higher end such as a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler for 65$+10$ for fan

it depends of ur budget, but the first pick is quite decent for the money :), 89*

degrees seems hot, so ya get an after market cooler

cheers

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Iceclock:

The hyper212+ will certainly provide adequate performance, it's a longshot better than a stock cooler, and will be able to take some OCing. I've never been certain of its performance against the Corsair air series (if someone has some temperature results show me!), but I do know that it outperforms the H50. For a cheap heatsink it's damn good.

yes correct but theyre both around 30 dollars anyways, but id recommand changing the fan on the hyper 212+ i beleive it doesnt give alot of airflow compared to an addon fan, which can be bought for like 14 bucks,

ja9g08

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hmm thanks guys....I tried reseating my heatsink, I then did some performance tests again. This time the results were even higher, with my cpu actually reaching 100degrees for a couple of seconds(stopped the test straight away). I am now worrying that my cpu life span will shorten but hopefully not because it was hot for a very short time. I will not switch my system on until I have purchased new cooler and thermal coating. I am picking up the 212+ and arctic silver tomoro. Shall i have two fans on my cpu cooler, change the stock one for a better fan or keep the stock one. Thanks, Jack

ja9g08

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
OK. Maybe I went a bit overkill but I took out all the stock fans from my build and replaced them with aftermarket ones aswell as a 212+ in push pull configuration. I am now running at much better temperatures....but would still like them lower but I think these temps are typical of the i7 950.

Tell me what you think?

All my cores are idling at around 32-34 degrees celsius
Playing games and browsing my core temps stay around 40 degrees celsius
Running Prime 95 for one hour my cores reached 75 degrees celsius

I think thats pretty stable but would like to get them lower in the future for
OCing ability.