Motherboard: Gigabyte 770T usb3
Video: ASUS T220 1GB (GeForce 220)
Memory: 4gb ddr3 1333 mhz
Etc: All drivers current, all parts nearly (less than 2 months) new.
The problem: Recently (a week ago), When trying to load a game that requires 3D, the game would lock up before loading. I don't play many games, so I only have 3 examples.
EVE online, locks up after the splash screen. (before it loads up the name/password screen)
D&D online, Locks up just after login, before it loads up the character select.
Mabinogi, Locks up after the updater. (This is actually a white screen, but that is what it should be.)
In all cases, there is no sound loop, no crazy artifacts, no messy graphics. It loads up the window, and stops. Black (or white) screen, and does nothing.
I have swapped out the card (have an identical system that I have just bought and almost finished building)
The memory is known good (tried out on new system.)
The PSU shows total unwavering power in the BIOS monitor.
The actual GFX card is not attached to the PSU. (By design, not because I forgot to plug it in. Go low power!)
Hard drives are sound, and also new. (Mirrored too)
Other odd things.
DXdiag tests the 3d as working.
It is very hard to close the program afterward. Even End-processing it. Shutting down (or logging out) takes a long time (minutes, instead of seconds.) (Note: Shut down is only slow if I have tried to run one of these games. Otherwise, it takes seconds to logout or shut down.)
I hope I've been clear. If not, I can clarify with specific questions.
My firewall is my router, and has never caused issue with this before, and I have not changed it since I first set it up.
My antivirus is Symantic, and has also not changed, or caused issue with it before.
And yes, service pack 3.
I tried that actually. Twice, once to a time before this started happening, and again to WAY before. (2 weeks, and 1 month) Even though neither windows or symantic went through any changes (aside from normal virus definition updates)
I used an identical card, (that was purchased last week, and known to work). So that there would be no driver issues. (Those are up to date, again, after the system restore, but after the system restore failed to work.)
The problem occurred in the exact same fashion after the switch.